New pool, Chlorine before salt and dog poop...

Jun 24, 2014
Montreal QC Canada
Pool was installed last Friday. Only had hours to start pump before fishing trip therefore plugged the filter and dumped 1.89l of bleach. Wife and daughter where happy, they could "use" the 72°F pool while I was away.

Question #1: Since the pool is part of a complete yard makeover that will only be done in a few weeks, the pool installer recommended not using the SWG right away. He recommended starting with chlorine (he actually recommended bleach) and wait until the construction crew is done prior to making the switch to salt. He said this would prevent damage being done to the expensive SWG. Opinions?

Question #2: Upon my return the water was cloudy and I started my cleaning routine. To my dismay I discovered a small bag of dog poop that was thrown in my pool by a local ?&#%#$% teenager (I live in a rapidly changing neighbourhood and pools aren't that common. The fact my temporary construction fence wasn't hiding the pool did not help). Yes disgusting, but I'm moving on... Now, I believe I need to SLAM my pool. I have a basic test kit (with the 2 little bottles), what level should I bring the chlorine to and will this basic kit be able to test this level? Since it's only 5K gal would you guys simply empty most of it?

Thanks!

1) Good idea. Construction debris can sometimes get into the plumbing and damage things.
2) If you have added any CYA or used any trichlor then shock level is based on the CYA level. If you haven't used any CYA at all, then shock level is 5.

I should of specified the SWG is installed, just not plugged in... Unsure if the wait is therefore still such a good idea!

2) If you have added any CYA or used any trichlor then shock level is based on the CYA level. If you haven't used any CYA at all, then shock level is 5.

All that went in the pool is water and a little bleach (ok, poop). So if I understand properly my goal if FC=5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.