Skimmer Replacement

Jun 20, 2011
Greetings everyone! This is my first post. I've been lurking for some time and have enjoyed the helpful information this forum has provided since becoming a member. Over the past two years, with the information I've found, I've upgraded my pump to a variable speed whisperflow and have converted to salt water and installed a SWG. My pool is about 18 years old, currently has a lawn as deck, while I enjoy having grass around the pool it presents its challenges. We recently purchased a used pool slide and installed a concrete deck at the end of the pool for the slide. I've now decided to install additional decking all around the pool, replacing my lawn. This presents me with the dilemma of whether or not to change out the skimmer before installing the concrete deck. My skimmer looks ok, but the weir valve has been giving me trouble. I've had to replace the weir valve recently and the new one had to be filed and sanded on the sides to get it to swing freely, but now it seems to be a bit sticky at the hinge pins. I'm guessing there is some bulging from the sides which necessitated the weir to be filed on the sides. I'd like your opinions as to whether you think it's worth the effort now, before I pour the deck to replace the skimmer. While I'm confident in my abilities, I've never pulled a skimmer, so I'm not sure of the time involved. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Thank you Jason, I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it. However, with the issue I'm having I'm concerned the opening to the skimmer may be at the early stages of deteriorating. Since I don't have a concrete deck over the skimmer, I think it may be a good opportunity to replace it. I wouldn't have any coping to remove, it would just be a matter of removing the soil and concrete from around the skimmer. I'm trying to figure out how much time it would take to remove the concrete. If it's only a day of work to remove it I think it's worth my time and peace of mind to do so now. I figure it may take me 2-3 hours to remove the soil, what I don't know is how long it typically takes a professional to remove the concrete that surrounds the skimmer from the pool wall. Without a deck, I'm guessing it would take about 2 days of work to remove and install a new skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.