Frustrated and Needing Help (or maybe encouragement)

Update, I've maintained a level of 20 ppm since last Monday, verified and adjusted 4 - 5 times daily. Brushed the entire pool several times. Ph has been adjusted to 7.4. Small drop offs in FC between checks with mostly 0 CC's. Sand filter running 24/7 for the past 4 weeks (the electric company has sent me a thank you note!!)

My wife said it's looking a little better today, but I still see a greenish tinge to the water. I wish it was at least just a cluody white.

Here's a picture taken this evening.

DSC_2814.jpg

Well, after maintaining 20 ppm for 9 straight days, filtering 24/7, with no cc's to report, I've decided to return to maintenance levels and filtering times. The water is still turquoise, but I'm starting to think that it's from all the chlorox I've dumped in over the past 2 months :x ....

No I haven't, could that be a possible reason for the water color?? I have had this pool for 6 years, the last two using Baquacil. I have always had clear water without any issues. The pool is filled using water run through our water softner. Do you think a metal test might be worth while?

It is not at all common, but copper can turn the water a clear transparent green/turquoise. It is also possible for iron to turn the water yellow, which sometimes looks green when the liner is blue. When either of these happens, lowering the PH to around 7.2 and/or adding sequestrant can often turn the water fully transparent again.

I always thought a water softener removed metals. Maybe not copper but my assumption was iron and calcium were eliminated (or perhaps highly reduced).

My other assumption is copper is rarely, if ever, found in water unless it is artificially introduced. I have no basis for that other than something Ben said on PF years ago but it has always stuck with me.

duraleigh, correct on both counts. However, in this situation something unusual is happening that has resisted explanation so far. It seems that it is time to investigate less likely possibilities. Copper is used in many algaecides, and so is often added to a pool without the owner realizing that they are adding copper. It is more difficult to imagine how iron could have gotten into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.