Newbie pool questions

Finally received my K2006 kit. I have a question about the CYA test. Should the black dot completely disappear? So if I see even a hint of it I should continue to pour in more of the sample? I just did the test and get a reading of ~48 while I thought it would be lower. I guess if I didn't add solution until it was completely gone I would get an even higher reading on CYA.

So my initial FC was 4.0. Using pool math I calculated that 16oz of bleach would raise my FC by 12. Did a test after 1 hour of adding bleach and the FC was 11.5. So I add another 16oz and the reading after an hour is now 21. Am I doing the test wrong? The same 16oz raised the FC by different amounts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe my original reading was wrong. I took the initial reading after me and the kids were in the pool for a few hours. Would it take some time before the FC dropped from us using the pool? My CYA is 45 and my FC has never dropped below the minimum for that level (that I know of).

I'm looking at installing a heater and had a question about the pipe size. The heater I'm looking at comes with 2" unions. But my current plumbing is 1.5". Should I reduce immediately at the heater inlets to 1.5" or run as much as I can as 2" and reduce to 1.5" as late as possible?

I was planning on placing the HP so that the pump/filter/pool were on the right side of the heat pump and slightly behind. This would require me to use a few elbows to pipe from the front to side of the HP. Then I thought I could just turn the HP so that it faces the pump/filter/pool. That way I don't need any elbows and could run pipe straight out the front. Anyone see any issues with this idea? Other than making it a little cumbersome to access the controls at the front of the HP?

Hi all, got my HP installed and the water is nice and warm! But now I have a problem with FC loss. Normally with use, my pool loses 3 FC over the course of the day. But after the HP was installed I am now losing 6 FC/day when pool is used. The water temperature use to be in the low 70s before the HP. Now I'm holding it at 90. Could the 20 degree difference cause faster FC loss?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my current CYA level is 40-45.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.