Should I raise borate level?

Jun 18, 2014
Locustville, VA
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

please let me tell you that I am new to the BBB method. I have studied this site for a week now and just order my testing kit that won't arrive until next Tuesday. So I am relying on the numbers from the pool store until it does. Am I to understand that the optimum amount of Borate is 50? I had it up to 41 and then vacuumed to waste and the level fell back down to 31. I have a very small 21 ft round and had some white matter in the bottom so I thought vacuuming to waste would be the norm. Should I stop vacuuming to waste? Should I bring the Borate level back up to 50? The alkalinity is at 112ppm. Everything else is perfect. Should I not do anything until I get the new test kit?

How often have you been dosing with chlorine/bleach? How much? It's important to keep a residual of chlorine, keep the algae at bay, the other numbers you can address when the test kit comes in.
You are correct the optimum amount for borates is 50. You can vac to the filter, then clean out the filter, it helps maintain chemical levels. Saves water also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.