10 years into it, and just now trying TFP Method to fix the swamp

That some serious chlorine use :D

Lots of little organics floating around gobbling it all up (undead leaves, pollen, algae maybe even crawfish). ;)

Also partially my own fault for not lowering the CYA even further than I did but I knew what the price would be for holding it up that high while SLAMing it (lots of extra bottles of bleach).

I'll probably test the CYA again tomorrow and may consider pulling more water out/replacing it after I see the result.

Four hours after the last three jugs go in and FC is now a whopping 4.

Backwashed the filter, brushed the pool, cleaned the sock on the basket (again) and put four more bottles into the pool.

Going to bed. Tomorrow should be interesting.

You want to try and maintain the FC at SLAM level. If you let it drop way down it takes a lot longer to clean up and you'll end up using more bleach in the long run. I know as I too have a "V" shaped pole from leaves and I didn't keep the FC up and it took almost two weeks to clear my pool.

Pulled about another 4-5,000 gallons out of the pool. Retested the PH and chlorine.

PH: 6.8
FC: trace
CC: 1

Since I have to put about 5,000 gallons of city water (with a tested PH of 7.5) into the pool tonight I am going to postpone adding any more Borax into the mix until after I see just what the final, re-filled pool's PH tests out to. (I am estimating 7.0-7.1)

Re-filling the pool will probably be an overnight job.

Question.. Even with the FC basically at zero right now, should I even bother to add any more chlorine into the mix before the PH is back to 7.2+ ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright then, in goes more bleach.

This time I pulled the water out by vacuuming the deep end with the filter on "waste". Managed to remove what I think is the last big leaf graveyard that was hiding down there and my hope was that by pulling the water from the deepest part of the pool that I would be getting a bit more sediment out as well as (hopefully) more CYA (since cyanuric acid has a specific gravity of 2.5, it should in theory tend to settle more to the bottom of the pool than towards the surface).

Tomorrow I will re-run all of the tests to get a new baseline and start over.

Quick side questions:

1. If you know that you need to bring to pool to say, 20PPM and hold it and the calculator says to add basically 4 gallons of bleach, is it OK to add say 5 or 6 instead (overshoot the projected number a bit) if you still have enough organic stuff in the pool to guarantee that a big chunk of FC will be gobbled up almost immediately?

2. In general, once the pool is clear and back in balance how much chlorine should I expect to be putting into the pool per week for maintenance? I know that the actual number varies due to FC loss, weather, sun, etc. but I am just looking for a ballpark estimate here so that I have an idea how much bleach I would need to buy for the rest of the season.

It is definitely best to bring FC up to slam level and keep it there throughout the process. You'll have to test often though and that burns through the r-0871 reagent quickly. Your CYA level is quite manageable now, so you should end up with good results.

I forgot that simple rule for some reason and keep letting it drop and bringing it back up. Took me longer and more bleach to do the same thing.

Got back from the stores to find that my lawn people had come through while I was away and...

...You guessed it, they blew about a pound or two of grass clippings into the pool... :(

Spent half an hour fixing that, added another 20 mules of borax and six bottles of 8.25 bleach.

Day five:

NTR_6129_zps64859a03.jpg

NTR_6130_zps28be2d14.jpg

Since day four was spent draining, vacuuming and re-filling not much progress made over day three.

Hoping that the lower CY-A and rebalanced pool (now with a lot fewer hidden leaves still at the bottom) will start to improve a bit with the higher active chlorine levels.

Likely around a quart a day for your size pool.

So if kept balanced, about 30 gallons for the summer (give or take based on weather and usage). I can work with that.

It is definitely best to bring FC up to slam level and keep it there throughout the process. You'll have to test often though and that burns through the r-0871 reagent quickly. Your CYA level is quite manageable now, so you should end up with good results.

The reagent that I am almost out of at the moment is for the CYA test. I just ordered more of that one from Amazon because I expect to be needing to track that quite a bit as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.