Problem with green water that wont turn.....

May 23, 2009
Help...

I have a 20,000 inground plaster pool. Hayward DE 4820 filter system.
I have been trying for about 2 weeks to turn it clear with shocking it hard and often. As soon as my filter pressure gets to like 30 I backwash and add new DE.
Nothing I have tried is working. There is a bottom layer of nasty, algae on my pools bottom. I brush constantly, I try and vacuum it up. Everytime I vacuum my system loses pressure like it is plugged.

My numbers are as follows : FAC 1
TAC 1
Cal Hard 570
CYA 25
TA 40
PH 6.4
TDS 1350
Phos 300

Is it time I just give up and drain it and start over? I wonder how much the water will cost me to refill my pool. Ive never had to do that. Usually my pool will take 3 or 4 days to turn.
I have even installed new filter elements.

Please help. I dont know what else to try.

Thanks.

Draining is not a good idea. It is mildly risky and unlikely to help.

The first thing to do is to get your PH back up to at least 7.2.

When you have been "shocking" the pool, what form of chlorine have you been using?

I am using the Taylor K2006. I also wasnt sure of my results so I took my water to 2 different local stores and had them check the water. I am trying to use SLAM the best I can. I am a shift worker and work 12 hour shifts and have been working alot lately. But yes I have been hitting it hard and keeping it up there. The water will not turn. Something is going on because the pressure on my filter when I start is like 20 but within 3 hours it is topping out at like 36-37 with no flow back to pool.....

The filter is working normally. There is just lots of algae in the water. The filter filters out the algae, gets full of debris, and needs to be cleaned out. That is all normal when fighting algae. If you are not around to deal with the filter and you have a multi-position main valve you can set the main valve on circulate. You need to run it on filter as much as you can, but when you aren't there to deal with it having circulation is more important than filtering.

The problem is its so green that I cant see what is on the bottom of the **** pool. If it was a little clearer I could see the bottom. As it is now I am basically blind to see the bottom and what is down there....

You need to get everything you possibly can off of the bottom, even if that means working blind. It is almost always possible to dredge things up using a leaf rake.

Work on getting the PH into range, removing everything solid from the pool that you can, and maintain shock level and you should start making a lot more progress.

Ok, so DO NOT do a drain or partial drain at this point is what is suggested? I really didnt want to have to do that. Maybe I can take a few days off work that way I can be with it around the clock....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try the leaf take and see if you can pull anything off the bottom. Anything you get out will help, and it give you an idea of what you need to do. If it's a ton, you may have to drain some to get it out, but I'd try scooping first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.