Intex 1000 GPH pump vs. 2500 GPH is like night and day

:goodjob:
dfenrick said:
comawhite12 said:
Well I am going to go ahead and jump the shark next weekend. I am going to enlarge the holes and use the intake and return that came with my 2500. I was wracking my brain on how to get my skimmer to connect to the intake for a week, and then remembered (while holding it) that it HAS the correct threads under the screen. :hammer: .
Adapters were ok, but too restrictive. And i want an adjustable eye. Any words of wisdom on the cutting would be great.

Completely off topic, but I've never heard the term 'Jump the Shark' used to mean 'take the plunge'.

The phrase is usually used to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on water skis. Thus was labelled the lowest point of the show. I hope your retrofit works out better than it did for the Fonz. :)

Yep. I am aware of the origin of this specific phrase, and think I might still be accurate.
I am attempting a risky "maneuver" in order to open up future possibilities just like the beloved Fonz. On paper it sounds possible, but real life doesn't always follow the formula. Ratings in the toilet, Riche M.I.A., Joanie loves Chachi, and so on.
Heres hoping I dont end up looking like a tool in a leather jacket on water skis, (read huge rip in pool from bone head move).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-me ... -shark.htm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... he%20shark

Success!!!!!!!!!!
Cut out the old 1 1/4" fittings and put in the new 1 1/2" fittings. And all without draining any (much) water.
Had my son get in the pool and hold a large flat lipped bowl tight against the pool wall. Once the water in the bowl drained I enlarged the holes. Stuffed a sock in the fitting and while sealing with my hand from the outside popped it through. Maybe lost a couple of gallons total for 2 holes.
Oh, any one interested in a pair of the adapters pm me.

My fittings on the pool are slip-on like yours. The 633 pump came with the valves but I had to buy the adapters to fit them to the pool. Here is a link to the Adapters

10747.jpg
10722.jpg

what are the valves called? I'm having problems searching the rest of the site you posted.

Is it possible to use the 2500 ghp pump on a 15'x36" intex hard plastic pool (not the metal one)? Tried but the adapters pop off when pump is turned on. Do you need the small assembly wall filter return assembly. Also was told NOT to cut a hole in liner from Intex.

Did anyone every figure out the energy consumption of the 2500gph pump? Our water looks great during the day but at night with the 2 intex lights on there is lots of little things suspended in the water and was considering running it 24/7.

20GT said:
My fittings on the pool are slip-on like yours. The 633 pump came with the valves but I had to buy the adapters to fit them to the pool. Here is a link to the Adapters

10747.jpg
10722.jpg

what are the valves called? I'm having problems searching the rest of the site you posted.

I bought these plungers on ebay for approx $40 dollars, not realizing that my new intex 2500 gph model 633 pump already came with them. if you are still looking, contact me and I will sell them to you. I don't need 2 sets.

I had a little time this weekend to do some plumbing and this is what I came up with. My "2-speed/backup" pump setup with SWCG.

swg1.jpg

Here are some closeups of how I tied the pumps together and the system works pretty well. Here are the numbers:
swg2.jpg
swg3.jpg

637R pumps 785gph
633 pumps 1629gph
both together pumps 1685gph

This surprised me somewhat in that I expected more than a 55gph increase when both are running. I measured the current when running the pumps in different configurations and I found that the pump current for the small pump drops to about 1/2 when the big one is turned on. This make me assume that the water flow of the big pump is "pulling" water out of the little pump thus reducing it's work load. Just thinking out loud.

Bottom line is that it works like I wanted. I can run the little pump 24/7 and flip on the big pump when I vacuum the pool. Works great plus it will serve as a backup pump in case the little one ever dies.

I do have one problem I need to fix. When I turn on the big pump, there are tiny air bubbles coming out the return. I'm assuming I have a leak on the low pressure side (sucking air) when the big pump is turned on. I cannot find a leak anywhere in the plumbing so I'm not sure what to do.

The water inlet and outlet to the pool is only 1" inside diameter. What is the maximum flow rate in GPH or GPM for a 1" pipe? Is this the reason I can only get ~1700gph out of a 2500gph pump?

Also, is it possible to pull air bubbles from the water itself with a motor/pump this size? Could the 1" line be the reason or maybe I should have used long sweeps. I wonder where the air bubbles are coming from?
The reason your flow numbers did not go up much is that you plumbed the pumps in paralel. In series, you will get much better results if your goal is higher GPH...but you would lose redundancy to some extent (a series system will still pump water if one is off) That said, I realize your goal was to run the smaller pump by default and just use the larger when needed, so you're good there. Also, if the check valves are the plunger type, they are no good for flow...you want the flapper type like this: 1-1/2” Slip x Slip Swing Check (no spring) - Valterra.com

That said, you did an excellent job plumbing them in..PVC artwork :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pumps in series have higher head/pressure while pumps in parallel have higher flow rate. However, the later really only works when the pumps are nearly the same. With one pump much stronger than the other, the flow rate could actually decrease because of recirculation loss in the lower powered pump (i.e. it acts as a bypass).

I suspect what is happening here is that the larger pump is dead heading (due to higher pressure) the smaller pump so it isn't adding much to the flow rate. Not much point in having it.

Pumps in series have higher head/pressure while pumps in parallel have higher flow rate. However, the later really only works when the pumps are nearly the same. With one pump much stronger than the other, the flow rate could actually decrease because of recirculation loss in the lower powered pump (i.e. it acts as a bypass).

I suspect what is happening here is that the larger pump is dead heading (due to higher pressure) the smaller pump so it isn't adding much to the flow rate. Not much point in having it.
Except, the OP stated that he wanted a two speed setup, so this more or less does that..isolating the idle pump when off via the check valves.

True but running on the smaller pump probably isn't really saving that much in energy. The 633 uses only about 300 watts so run costs are already pretty low especially in AR.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.