Adding MA safely

simste01

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2014
Huntington, IN
In another thread I read, "Lower the bottle into the water (keep the opening a few inches above the water) and slowly pour that way. I see some vapors, just make sure the wind is blowing away from you. "

How do you measure the amount you are adding when pouring directly from the bottle? Or is a guessed approximate amount okay?

I measure mine out into a plastic cup that has been labeled acid with marks on the side at 16, 24 and 30 oz.

Then pour gently in front of a return with the pump on high.

I've been pouring MA into a 2 quart plastic measuring cup and slowly pouring the measured amount in front of the deep end return. But when I read "Lower the bottle into the water" I thought that would be a lot easier and safer, but how to measure pouring directly from the bottle?

I think people that use this method just eyeball it. If you have to add a quart that's 1/4 bottle.

I personally use a measuring cup and dilute into a 5 gallon bucket of pool water. Some here have said that this technique add more steps, and thus more exposure, but I find I get less fumes as I am not pouring slowly for a long period of time.

Yeah, the larger the pool you have, the more you can "eyeball" the amount. I am able to do that in my pool (43k) but it would be a somewhat trickier (and overdose prone) in a 5k pool.

You just have to work out a common sense solution that best fits your comfort level.

So your wrist is calibrated, three drips = 1.7 ounces? Kinda reminds me of the "butt-dyno" in the motor-sports performance world.
haha. butt-dyno.

let's put it this way. pH was about 8-8.1, pool math called for 1.1 ounces (just checked what I actually did) to get to 7.2. After 3 drips and 20 minutes of circulating the pH was 7.2. Some would call it lucky (my wife) but I say I'm calibrated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I pre dilute. I measure my acid very carefully, then pour it into a half full five gallon bucket of pool water and then pour that in. It's not necessary, and maybe obsessive, but that's the way I do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used pool math to figure out how much acid it takes to lower PH 0.1, in my case it's about 16 oz or 1 red solo cup. 7.8, 4 solo cups to get it down to 7.4. It's close enough, I also have a 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher I use. Also always pour with yourself standing up wind. Seeing the "smoke" is interesting in hot humid Florida.

I used pool math to figure out how much acid it takes to lower PH 0.1, in my case it's about 16 oz or 1 red solo cup. 7.8, 4 solo cups to get it down to 7.4. It's close enough, I also have a 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher I use. Also always pour with yourself standing up wind. Seeing the "smoke" is interesting in hot humid Florida.
I noticed your pool was about the same volume as mine, yet I know it takes less than half that amount to lower my pH by 0.1; I was very perplexed, messing around with PoolMath, then aha! You must have borates in your pool.

Anyway, I'm one of those who just "eyeballs" it and pours directly from the bottle into the pool in order to minimize handling the MA. I have practiced with water, and I'm pretty "calibrated" as to what 1 cup is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.