Post SLAM - 2 days before vacation!

Jun 4, 2014
Eastern PA
I successfully Slammed the pool (passed all 3 tests) and have allowed the pool to stabilize on the SWG for 3 days. Tested the water today:

FC 5
CC 0.5
pH 6.8
TA 20
CYA 30
CH 200

Here's my timeline. Its now Wednesday afternoon. I leave Saturday morning for 2 weeks - no one will be swimming in the pool during this time. I need to know what order to adjust the parameters in my remaining 2 days. I am figuring since no one will be swimming for 2 weeks I can allow the SWG to raise the pH gradually and not adjust it now. Same goes for the CYA.

Any recommendations?

Woody was taking that into account when he said 7.2. That is the safe minimum, and gives you the most headroom for it to rise. pH under 7 is considered emergency low.

Aim low on the TA, since high TA will have you battling rising pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why spend the time/effort/money raising the pH when the SWG will do that during my absence?
It probably will but I don't think there is a guarantee. Woodyp is (I think) suggesting that for about $8.00, you can get it to 7.2 with 20 Mule Team Borax and drive away not worrying about it.

Depending, your pH could actually be a bit lower than 6.8 since that is the lowest most pH tests go. The chances are it will come up just fine but I would be a chicken if it was my pool and get some borax. :D

I'm afraid I wasn't being clear.

I meant I wanted to put the CYA into the pool before leaving for the 2 weeks as it takes some time to register, yes? Might as well use that down time for the CYA to incorporate.

The soda ash comment I made was in reference to raising the pH. Or I suppose I could use Borax, although I have never used Borax before.

So my plan is to get the pH up tonight (with soda ash/borax). Tomorrow (and when pH= 7.2), I'll use the baking soda to get the TA to about 70. Then I'll put in the stabilizer before leaving for the 2 weeks and allow the CYA to come up to a target of 70-80.

Make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just trying to save you wear and tear on your equipment and pool surface. There was absolutely no point in letting your PH remain at 6.8.-so add borax. Your cya being that low causes unnecessary wear and tear on your SWG-which will have a tough time keeping FC without adding it. No reason for you to wait till Saturday to do that. Baking soda for the TA to help you keep that PH in check while you're gone as well. I pointed out there was no reason to space those 3 items out over a 3 day period when it can be done in the space of an hour, and at least get started on the cya. You're probably going to have to add that 2 or 3 times for the amount you'll need to raise 28k gallons to where you need it which is 70 to 80. And with that much cya, you'll probably need to bump that ph a bit more. You don't need to wait until the last minute if you're leaving. And yet you still seem to want to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.