Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My CSI any suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

My CSI any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I was using the pool calculator, and at my current levels it says that the CSI is -0.7. It says in the that any pool over -0.6 is bad for it. Is this true of my pool? My pool specs are in my signature below.

So what do I do to get the number under 0.6 if it needs to be? Any suggestions?

My numbers are below for the pool:
    FC 8
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 60
    CYA 70 (all day sun is why I kep this high)
    Borates 50
    Temp 84

Thanks in advance
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: My CSI any suggestions?

I think that the knowledgable folks around here will tell you that the saturation index is really not anything to worry about. But I would point out that at -.7 you are BELOW -.6.

Your calcium is a bit low. That's not really a problem in a vinyl pool, tho, unless you're getting foaming. Your numbers look good to me.
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

3. Back To Top    #3

The index is very low because the Calcium Hardness (CH) is low, but that's OK for a vinyl pool such as yours. The Pool Calculator actually says:

Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
    Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

So being lower than -0.6 is not a problem for vinyl pools such as yours. If you find that your water tends to foam, then you can raise the CH level to 120 ppm; otherwise, don't worry about it.

Your pH is on the high side at 8. If you find that it frequently tends to rise, you can consider lowering the TA level a bit to 80 ppm by this procedure in The Pool School.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses, I do appreciate them very much. I didnt read the pool calculator correctly is what my problem is!LOL

My PH is 7.5, Richard, so I will leave it alone, my TA is at 100 and I added a bit of MA to bring it down to 80 and am aerating with my new fangled home made aerator that Poseidon showed us in the Aerating & PH thread.

Thanks agin you guys are a great help in clarifying everything that is for sure.
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!