Upgraded to a bigger cartridge, WOW!

Apr 8, 2011
Just thought I'd share my recent experience. I've been using a 3/4 hp pump for the last 2 seasons. My original filter was a hayward 74 sqft cartidge. It was a cheap garage sale find. This year after start up I just couldn't get my head pressure down, it runs 20 psi after cleaning. I picked up a used clear ways filter I believe about 320 sqft on craigslist and installed yesterday. The filters are still a bit dirty, I hosed them down but they could use a good soaking. Head pressure hovers at >5psi now. I have 4 jets that blow and can even run my poorman's deck jets at the same time. Both skimmers flow with eddys inside them and my diver dan cleaner is jetting across the bottom. Its like the pump has twice the flow. I know it makes sense, we cut the resistance to flow considerably, but still I'm amazed at what a difference it makes.

Good find!

Just by doubling the size of my filter, I noted a huge increase in flow. I haven't added a pressure gauge to mine yet, because of the type of impeller Intex uses in the smaller pumps (squirrel cage) is high volume low pressure. Still, moves a lot of water.

I had a similar experience this year. I would clean my filters and psi would be at around 18 iirc and after a couple hours would be back up to 28
I just replaced the filters and tried the pleatco ones due to the significant pric difference compared to the unicell. Like you my skimmer and return lines are working better then ever and I had to turn down the cleaner suction cause it kept going up to the waterline too much grabbing air. If you need to replace your cartridges I would recommend the pleatco one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.