Question for a buddy...

May 11, 2014
Houston, TX.
He has a 7,500 gal AG pool that does not have a SWG.

His specs as I tested them with my k2006 kit were basically:

FC: 3
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA.100
CYA: 0

He puts in a couple of those chlorine pucks every 2-3 days he tells me and shocks his pool once a week he tells says. So I expected his CYA to be off the chart yet I read it as 0.0 with my k-2006 test kit. His water was perfectly clear. No slime or hint of algae.

Is this one of those times when my test kit can't read it and so it shows it as 0.0 ?

If it is as high as 15 to 20 as I hear it might be, why is that considered high? My pool is at 70 which is much higher than 15 or 20 yet my 70 is not considered high. What gives? What should his next move or my next step for him be?

Has he recently drained/filled the pool? If he was consistently using pucks and powdered shock, the CYA should be up there unless he's using cal-hypo pucks and cal-hypo shock powder. Then his CH should be pretty high. If he has no CYA, all the chlorine is being burned off very quickly by the sun. May be just keeping the algae at bay by adding lots of cal-hypo, though most of the FC given by it is wasted to sun. I'd test his CH.

I don't know why I did not post it earlier but I did test it yesterday. It was CH: 160. So that isn't a problem at all in a vinyl lined pool. I personally think he is off the chart with too much CYA and again I have to ask:

If my pool is at the suggested 70 for CYA and we suspect his is much higher why does the pool calculator say this:

If you have ever used stabilizer or dichlor or trichlor your CYA level won't really be zero. CYA levels up to 15 or 20 can sometimes test as zero.

They say that like a level of 15 or 20 is high. Mine is 70 and that is considered good. I'm thinking to be off the chart his would be about 150.

Maybe I'm supposed to be dropping the zero at the end so mine would be 7 and then the pool calculator's levels of 15 - 20 would seem like off the chart...

If that is true what should he do next? Change the water?

My comments in green:

.... I personally think he is off the chart with too much CYA and again I have to ask:

If my pool is at the suggested 70 for CYA and we suspect his is much higher why does the pool calculator say this:

If you have ever used stabilizer or dichlor or trichlor your CYA level won't really be zero. CYA levels up to 15 or 20 can sometimes test as zero.
Well, since the test cannot test that low, it is a caution to make sure you do not overshoot the CYA when adding.

They say that like a level of 15 or 20 is high. Mine is 70 and that is considered good. I'm thinking to be off the chart his would be about 150.

If that is true what should he do next? Change the water?
I suggest he add about 30 CYA and stop using any form of stabilized chlorine, ie use bleach/liquid chlorine.

You have a SWG pool and your recommended CYA level is 60 to 80. Your buddy has a bleach/liquid chlorine pool and his CYA recommendation is 30 to 50.

Wait! We know most chlorine pucks are both chlorine and CYA. We know the Chlorine goes away and the CYA stays. We know backflushing reduces water thus CYA. I still think it would be extra high. Am I wrong? I'm asking him now when the last time he did a full change out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.