Green pool- ready to give up!

Pretty much what scott.MI said.
as murky as your water is, the FC is killing itself attacking the algae pretty dang quick. Thats what happens and this is totally expected. Just keep calculating how much bleach to add to get to 12 and do it. As time goes by, the FC will be higher and higher until it finally kills all of the algae.

your FC + CC is the TC. TC will probably hardly ever equal the SLAM level..I dont really know why but it dont.... so TC isnt really an indicator of anything related to the slam.

SLAM FC is 12.

If your CCs are shooting up and you're unable to get up to your slam level it could be that you have some ammonia in the water.

It uses up the chlorine almost as fast as you pour it in. The good news is that the chlorine will eventually win the ammonia fight and you'll start seeing your FC hold a little better (you'll finally be able to get to your slam level)

If you're available to do it you can test after 30 mins and dose again until you get there. If it's ammonia you'll see the CCs are pretty high and your poor FC will be almost gone again after 30 mins.

There's been a lot of people with the ammonia issue the past couple of months.

No matter what the solution is to keep testing and adding chlorine to get to your slam level. It will happen. It just takes some time and patience and lots of bleach!

image.jpg

24 hrs ago, 12 hrs ago, and 10 mins ago!!! :cool::D

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested again at one hour and only lost 1 ppm! Only needed like 23 oz : )

- - - Updated - - -

This is beyond exciting! I'm glad I've taken pics to compare. Sometimes green is green is green but it's very clear from the pics the progress made! Again, thank you all for your time and patience... You were truly my last hope!

It's looking good! Make sure you keep it at SLAM level until you pass the 3 tests to stop! Water is completely clear, CC is less than .5, and when you have those 2 number 3 is passing the OCLT.
It can take some time to get all the dead algae filtered out so you can see that sparkly clear water so don't lose hope!

Hey Melissa- Congrats on the progress. I'm happy you stuck with the program.

One thing to do is brush/vac/clean the sides and bottom very well. The algae can get a film over it that can protect it from the chlorine so you have to disrupt it in order to kill it all.

Once it all looks clear, let the FC drop to 4 before swimming. Post your complete numbers on here so the pro's monitoring your progress can suggest what to do to get it all perfect.

On a final note- I once went to Sam's club to purchase a set of big knifes for a party we were having and instintively threw in 4 cases of bleach while I was there. I noticed people staring at the contents of my cart so I had to dump the knife set and make a second trip back in for them. People seem to question why someone would buy so much bleach.

Glad you are to the "blue" part of pool maintenance. The CYA you put in the sock, did anyone mention it's a good idea to knead the sock occasionally or even often ?? If you just let it sit in the skimmer it will take forever to dissolve. Going out and squeezing it a bit here and there will usually get it into the pools water in a day or two. Even then it does take a few days for it to show up in tests so take your time adjusting it.
To lower CYA you need to dump water and that's almost never good.

Cut and paste from Pool School: Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.