1.5hp Pentair Superflo VS Pump motor DOA??

Jun 4, 2014
Kingsville, MD
I spent about 6 hours yesterday plumbing new filter and pump/motor. At the end was excited to fire it up and check for leaks etc. However, I flipped the switch to the pump and nothing. Not even a green light on the VS panel or a fault light. SO.. I open up connection panel on motor and verify 120/118 line voltage to the connection lugs A and B and that insulated ground is connected. The bonding wire to pool is connected as well. I held Start button on VS panel for 10 seconds along with a couple others too. I find it hard to believe that the thing is completely dead new out of the box. Am I missing something simple? Looking for ideas from the more experienced before I have to deal with warranty people at Pentair.

As Jason mentioned, you need to verify 240 to the motor. This requires that you probe both of the hot leads at the same time. I am going to assume that you are replacing a 240 volt pump with a 240 volt pump and nothing was changed elsewhere in the wiring.

Just to add some detail to what danpik already said, test the voltage between the two hot lugs as well, instead of just each separately to ground. That will confirm that they are two different phases and you really have 238 volts present. It is quite unlikely that this would be wrong, but given that the pump is not working, it is definitely worth testing.

Followed 240v problem to a 4way switch before the pump motor. I think that one could only switch one leg of a 240v circuit and the other would still be live which doesn't seem safe so I am going to put a cover plate on the box and remove the switch. Will use the time clock to switch off the pump. Whomever installed the switch has input top right black and red left, and output bottom right black and left red. I seem to remember 4 way switches cross the poles so maybe that's why the voltage is in phase from the switch to pump or am I wrong in this assumption? (FYI I j just bought the house in November and crazy stuff like this is everywhere.)

It may not be a 4 way switch. It may be a double pole single throw switch. A 4 way would only ever allow one leg at a time to be powered. If it is a DPST switch it could be one contact is bad.
I the past switching one side of a 240 circuit was done. As you mentioned it is not the safest way to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.