Just found out about TFP, here to give pool gurus a good challenge.

I understand now, since I know I added that amount to bring it to that level, I treat it like that even though it hasn't reached it test-wise yet. Thanks for answering that question.

Gotcha, I'll test one last time to get the most up to date number, then add more bleach using PoolMath again. Considering you're probably right about the leaves, what is your opinion on the safely of me simply getting into the pool and scooping them out by hand? Thanks for the quick response, if you didn't live in NC I'd offer you a drink. I can send one via UPS?

If you can, you should get one of these :lookhere: Leaf Rake

The three huge trees directly to the right of the pool isn't any help... :rolleyes:

Thanks Chris!

You might consider hiring a professional tree trimmer to thin out the trees. You can cut 25% of the crown out, artfully, and never notice the change. Until the leaves drop, or don't drop, that is. I suggest a pro because a friend fell out of a tree he was trimming, walked with a cane for the next 3 years, painfully. That will haunt him in his 60's and 70's.

Just got done shoveling (using the leaf rake cottielee suggested when the wife went down the road to buy one) a ton, and I mean, 2000 lbs of leaves from under the bottom of the pool, as well as skimming the top with it and emptying a ton of algae as well. Tested when I got out, 14 FC, dumped 45oz to increase it to 16. Hair didn't turn blonde (sorry duraleigh)

When I was walking in the pool, I noticed a buildup of sand on the bottom of the pool. I don't believe it is from any kind of hole in the pool, could this be a result from the sand filter regurgitating some of its sand?

Third Day Update

Woke up this morning to these readings:

FC - 5.5
CC - .5
pH - 7.1
TA - 80
CH - 250
CYA - 30 (however, added enough to get to 40 two days ago)

To continue SLAM-ing it, I added 238 oz of bleach in front of the return to return it to 16. I might have to do some more diving today to get more debris out. I skimmed it last night until 11-ish, started having more trouble finding stuff, all while maintaining 16 FC levels. Some pictures of what it looked like before I added bleach in:

while slamming don't worry about the rest of the tests. Just FC and CC - the others will be off and you don't need to test CYA until a week after putting it in or after a MAJOR deluge.

Keep in mind - the more frequently you test and dose the faster you will kill off all of the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
while slamming don't worry about the rest of the tests. Just FC and CC - the others will be off and you don't need to test CYA until a week after putting it in or after a MAJOR deluge.

Keep in mind - the more frequently you test and dose the faster you will kill off all of the algae.

Gotcha, I'll save my time with the other tests. I was worried I was going to run out of the t-0870 powder testing so frequently, so I already ordered another 10 g off Amazon Prime, it'll be here Thursday.

It's official: I am off the Perma Suck System. I've had the copper chamber turned off this whole time, but I finally removed it today between SLAM checks. It only took a few moments, and it was a good chance to clean the skimmer attached to the pool and the one in the Hayward pump. Now my sand filter looks like a normal one:

My old pressure gauge had been seriously off for a long time, so I replaced it with one from Lowes in March (I wish I would have found TFP two months ago). Now it has some moisture in it, I don't think that will affect the reading:

I just finished scrubbing all the walls and the entire floor. Before that, I skimmed the entire bottom of the pool multiple times and was having trouble finding, well, anything (accept for some algae), so I believe I've put a significant dent in the debris at the bottom of the pool. After adding another jug of bleach to get it from 11 FC to 16 FC, it looks like this:

Fourth Day Update:

I balanced the water continuously until 1 am, keeping it at 16 FC. Woke up this morning and from what I've learned, I'm thinking the algae started eating like crazy when the sunlight hit it, and the FC dropped all the way to 3 before I woke up again. Added sufficient amount in front of return jet to get it back to 16. Pics:

Since at the beginning of the third day, I woke up to 15 dead swollen frogs in the skimmer, the wife and I rescued the remaining two last night and took them down to the creek, a 30 second walk down our road. Save the frogs, man! [hippie voice]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.