Calcium Hardness level in re-plastered pool

Just had pool replastered with dark grey colorscapes about 5 weeks ago. Startup was performed by pool service company. After first month pool looks great and all readings are within range. Pool guy said CH was at 235. I tested the following week with Taylor test kit purchased at Leslies and CH was at 380, which was confirmed by Leslies.
I am now getting a 480 CH reading with my test kit. Leslies is getting a 300 CH reading (as of last Friday).

Am i doing the CH test incorrectly (Swirling /mix)?

Could i have bought a test kit with defective CH test liquid?

Is there a special technique to performing the CH test?

Could there be something in the fresh colored plaster (calcium additive) that is being released during curing process that could be causing CH reading to increase drastically in such a short period?

It is far far more likely that the people at Leslie's are doing the CH test incorrectly than that you are.

If your sample is turning purple during the test, called a fading end point, the test can read higher than actual. Otherwise it tends to be quite reliable. You might want to review the directions for the test, see the extended test kit directions. Chances are you are doing it correctly, but perhaps there is something there that will help clarify things.

I'd trust your own tests. My pool was brand new and at the beginning if last summer it was 450 but by the end of the swimming season it was 770. I tried to keep my ph at 7.2 because that suspends the calcium and prevents it from causing scale in your pool. We've had a ton of rain and now I'm at 450 or so again. I think a lot if calcium leached out of my new plaster.

The calcium leaching out of newly replastered finish makes sense.

What would explain the big jump in CH from the last time my startup pool guy tested CH (235) to recent CH reading (480) wiithin 1 1/2 weeks ?

Is it okay to drain some water in the middle of summer to adjust CH without causing any damage to new plaster finish?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.