Moving to a maint mode after Baqua conversion / balancing questions / setting targets

bbodb1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2013
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a couple of questions with respect to transitioning into a maintenance mode and setting chemical targets for my pool. First of all, this morning's test run produced the following numbers:
FC 2 ppm
CC none
TA 60-70
PH 7.8
CYA the test still does not obscure the black button at the bottom of the tube but the tube water is now visibly cloudy. I am about to finish adding the 1st four pounds of CYA that have ever been added to this pool (I was on Baquacil previously). A water test at a local pool store detected 6 ppm of CYA present.

The PH has risen this week (it was around 7.5) but we have had 5 days of rain here (probably totaling 3 or more inches).

I am continuing to add CYA via the sock method.

Each night, I am adding about 1/2 of a 121 oz bottle of DG or Fred's bleach (8.25%)

With respect to targets, I used this page and chose the vinyl with bleach section.

Unless someone suggests otherwise, these are the targets I will use in the pool calculator.
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50

Questions
  1. Should I adjust the PH now (while the CYA is still being added)?
  2. I am continuing to add CYA to arrive at the target zone. This process is taking several days - is that a concern?
  3. With respect to the ideal FC zone of 3-7, if I add bleach around sunset one day, ideally how long should I wait to measure the FC?
  4. Are there any areas of concern I am not seeing here?

Thanks to the experts around these parts, the pool currently looks like this:

Attachments

• Pool as of 05312014.jpg
    Pool as of 05312014.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 16
You don't really need to adjust PH right now. 7.8 is alright and adding CYA will lower PH just a little.
Adding CYA takes a while, not a problem.
In most cases once the conversion is complete you want to test/adjust FC about once every 24 hours.

You are certainly on the right track. You still have some residual CC to clear up, but are heading the right direction.

Your test result of 2 cc's indicates the need to elevate the chlorine.

1. Have you changed the sand after the baqua conversion?

2. How did your FC get to zero. It should have come from SLAM value down to normal maintenance.

Your test result of 2 cc's indicates the need to elevate the chlorine.
1. Have you changed the sand after the baqua conversion?
2. How did your FC get to zero. It should have come from SLAM value down to normal maintenance.

Duraleigh,

We did change the sand earlier this season - long after the Baqua was gone and after what we thought was the end of the Baqua to Bleach conversion (approx mid April). The FC has been been at 0 since the end of the SLAM. I understood that since we had no CYA in the pool, the chlorine was likely getting depleted via the sunlight (which this pool gets a lot of each day).

:confused:Wait a second - I had a typo!:confused:

That first post should have read:

FC 2 ppm
CC none

I fixed it in the OP and here...sorry for the confusion!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.