Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 385 sq ft ig grunite pool - • Hayward 60 sqft D.E filter

1. Back To Top    #1

385 sq ft ig grunite pool - • Hayward 60 sqft D.E filter

Is this sufficient? I have another builder offering build a 294 sq ft pool with a 225 sq. ft. Hayward Cartridge Filter. What difference does this make?
    17’ by 28’ - 10,600 gallons; IG
    Hayward 60 sqft D.E.
    Hayward 2 Horsepower, 2 Speed
    Goldline Salt system
    Pebble Tech - Pebble sheen (Turtle Bay)
    12" raised pool with 18" raised back beam wall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 385 sq ft ig grunite pool - • Hayward 60 sqft D.E filter

Can you give dimensions as opposed to square feet? Sorry, I'm just not good at converting this sort of thing. I have a 150 square foot filter for a 24 ft round pool. I have no clue what the square footage of it is tho . Works great....BTW. Donno if this even helps.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

absolutely! 87 feet diameter 15 x 30
    Hayward 60 sqft D.E.
    Goldline Salt system

4. Back To Top    #4

Honestly I'm not sure. IF it were cartridge, I'd go with a bigger filter. The size of the pump has more room to wiggle, lots of people get by with a 3/4 pump on the same size pool that other people use 1.5 hp pump.

But I believe with filters, the larger the better, at least that's the case with cartridge filters....it's important to pair the pump size to be adequate with the filter size, not sure what that recommendation is.

But 60 sqft for a DE filter seems small to me, but I'm not real knowledgeable about DE filters. It might be fine.

You know who could help you better, "WASTE" or Ted is his name. He knows all about pool equipment and such and he'd give you good advice I bet. If he doesn't come along shortly, send him a PM.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Those filters are probably fairly similar in capacity. It doesn't take nearly as many square feet for a DE filter. Or course each kind of filter has different advantages and disadvantages. You might want to read this pool school article comparing the different filter types.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just read it. VERY informative. Thanks! It looks like if I go with a chlorine system the D.E. is the way to go and if I go with a SWG (which most people appear to very fond of so long as I use a hard natural stone) then the larger cartridge is the way to go. From a maintenance perspective the cartridge appears to be easier to deal with and I believe that a SWG will cost me less to deal on a monthly basis then chlorine. Sooooo I'm leaning towards the swg.
    Hayward 60 sqft D.E.
    Goldline Salt system

7. Back To Top    #7

As a point of refernece, my 625 sf pool had a 60 SF DE filter originally spec'd. This was the largest non-steel (for SWG) DE filter Pentair makes. It would have been fine -- but with the bigger is better theory, I found the Pentair QuadDE with a cartridge-like filter taking DE. 100 sf. My PB mainenance guy swears by it -- just can't say enough good about it. Either way, as Jason said earlier, you can't compare SF cartridge to DE -- apples to oranges.

I'll review it after I get up and running.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]