A slight "shock"

Did I read that you said you still felt the shock when your power is off to the pool equipment?
Yes, I believe that is correct. I have done it so many times, I can barely remember when it does it and when it doesn't. I do know that the voltage read the same with the power off to the equipment...and that was with the main off to the house. I am fairly certain that you feel it too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah. Then that would make some sort of sense. There is something leaking from the incoming power line that it setting up a potential in the ground.

Is your ground moist most of the time?

Not, not really. We have a sandy lot so it's rarely moist...especially where the utilities come in and down to the pool. The very back of the lot may be a little moist after a big rain. But usually dry.

Odds are good it's a power utility issue since you mentioned under ground power lines.

I'm hoping that is it and can be easily resolved. But the utilities come in from the front of the house. The pool is in the back yard. Can that still be the issue? This stuff is not an area of expertise for me

Re: A slight "shock"

if you stick the leads in the ground around the yard, spread as far apart as you can, do you get a reading?

- - - Updated - - -

Try doing it at different places and oriented in different directions.

I'm going to repeat what was said at the beginning of this thread. This is a defective bonding system. You need to fix the bonding system. Many utility transformers will always have some leakage. The power company will not fix it.

You need to have a competent electrician examine the pool and fix the bonding system.

Without a effective equipotential bonding system you are at risk for not only small shocks but from other electrical faults.

I'm going to repeat what was said at the beginning of this thread. This is a defective bonding system. You need to fix the bonding system. Many utility transformers will always have some leakage. The power company will not fix it.

You need to have a competent electrician examine the pool and fix the bonding system.

Without a effective equipotential bonding system you are at risk for not only small shocks but from other electrical faults.
:goodpost:

Can your electricians prove that the pool and equipment are properly bonded? This should really be confirmed.

If there is an electrical fault somewhere and voltage makes it's way into the pool, the bond is there to prevent electrocution as you touch different parts of the pool that are at a different voltage potential (level). The bond wire is there to carry the voltage instead of your body.

It's like a bird landing on a 50,000 volt line. The bird does not get electrocuted because there is nowhere for the voltage to go. If that bird were to touch a different voltage potential (any voltage lower or higher) while still on that 50,000 volt line and it would be fricassee time.

Please insist that the bonding system be checked to the NEC code, regardless of the low voltage readings. The voltage source could be some strange atmospheric phenomenon that you may never track down, but it is an indicator that your pool is not properly bonded.

:goodpost:

Can your electricians prove that the pool and equipment are properly bonded? This should really be confirmed.

If there is an electrical fault somewhere and voltage makes it's way into the pool, the bond is there to prevent electrocution as you touch different parts of the pool that are at a different voltage potential (level). The bond wire is there to carry the voltage instead of your body.

It's like a bird landing on a 50,000 volt line. The bird does not get electrocuted because there is nowhere for the voltage to go. If that bird were to touch a different voltage potential (any voltage lower or higher) while still on that 50,000 volt line and it would be fricassee time.

Please insist that the bonding system be checked to the NEC code, regardless of the low voltage readings. The voltage source could be some strange atmospheric phenomenon that you may never track down, but it is an indicator that your pool is not properly bonded.

I understand completely and appreciate you guys, but if you read my my replies earlier...I have tried 3 different electricians. Unless you can point me in the direction of a "competent" electrician in my area, I don't know what else to do. Suggestions for finding a "competent" electrician in this area?

I'm not ignoring this advice. I have followed this advice to a T. I have tried 3 different times to follow it to a T. Every electrician says they check the bonding and that it is fine....

Yes, that is very frustrating. Are these pool electricians? Maybe call the city and ask if they have a list of electricians for pool installations. Or call some pool builders in the area to ask for a referral to their electrician.

Yes, that is very frustrating. Are these pool electricians? Maybe call the city and ask if they have a list of electricians for pool installations. Or call some pool builders in the area to ask for a referral to their electrician.

2 of them were not. One was an electrician that does all of the installs for a popular pool company in my area. There is one other electrician that I know of that does pool installs but I had a terrible experience with them when they did my pool and DO NOT want them back at my place. I can try another pool installer and see who they recommend. They can test the bonding even though the pool is closed and covered, right? Or should I wait until I re-open next season?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.