Help!! Green, crunchy hair

OMG... I can just see Finney in his green coat now! :mrgreen: I had a swimmer and she just loved the water!

psssst... Can you put your city and/or state/location in your profile? It's helps us help you by giving more regional advice specific to your location. We promise we won't come over! :mrgreen:

You are on the right track-------coming to TFP!

Next step-order a good test kit-see below for link.

Next step-drain 50%, refill, drain 50%, refill

When you spend a little (test kit) you will save a lot (stuff from pool store).

You will NOT believe how cheap and easy it is to have a cheap, Trouble Free Pool!

Kim

Really green? SMH!

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, the pool stores really dont have the foggiest understanding of water chemistry.
We all recommend you test your own water and maintain your own pool. Its easy and wayyy less expensive that depending on anyone else.
Your pocket book will love you for it.

Hopefully, the green will wear off in short order.

Hi Dave,
OK, I've ordered my test kit but won't have it until the middle of next week. I have taken out the pool RX and added a chlorine remover........I need to get the sequesterant still; should be able to do that tomorrow. If we do drain 50% and refill a couple of times, from our city water, are we likely to remove the copper completely? Will it eventually be diluted enough not to do damage or will I have to continue to add a sequesterant indefinitely?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sequestration is like a finger in the dam. Eventually the sequestrant breaks down releasing metals again. Sometimes you can get lucky and backwash some that's bound with metals.

Not sure if it was mentioned but get your fill water tested for metals so you know if over time with drains, backwashing, etc it will eventually get better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ok, you need to get some chlorine in there right away, plain bleach is best, CYA is probably right on for your region, depending on how much sunlight your pool gets, and TA is something to fine tune when everything else is perfect and you are bored.

Ike

p.s. pool math says you need about 2 gallons of 8.25 % bleach to get above your target level of 6 ppm (you plain regular bleach, not scented, not HE, not easy pour, not Outdoor, not Germicidal, etc.)

Its Ok to laugh....its the only thing getting me thru at this point.....so frustrated.......yes, dog has a slight green tint to him because he refuses to stay out of the water. Daughter's hair is still green tinted and crunchy as well....she has been warned lol. I will say, the dog is not as green as he was last year.....yes, this has carried over since last season. I'm going to get the water tested for metals today - will this be a "yes" or "no" test answer or does it have a specific reading?

With the metal test, do I need to distinguish between "metals" and "copper"?

If we show metals, which I think we all know the answer to, I'm going to drain 50% of the pool. Is there any reason to add the bleach since I plan on draining the pool?

Copper. Iron won't turn hair green. Sequesterants keep it in suspension but it will still stain hair.
My poor Bandit turned green back in the day when I didn't know better.
Copper levels between .3ppm and .7ppm will still definitely stain hair sequesterants or not. Higher than .7 they can start to affect pool surfaces. Mine was 1.3 at one point (trying to remember). Copper levels as low as .15 will stain white or blond hair. Seen it first hand on one of my clients pools.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes continue to chlorinate to prevent a different green nuisance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.