Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Algecides and Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Algecides and Shock?

I went to my local pool store today and they told me to buy some weird products. I bought them but I have not yet added them because I have read they are not Biguanide compatible. I specifically told them I was using a Biguanide Baquacil sanitizer and shock program and they gave me, Yellow Out - 99% Sodium Bromide and some non-chlorine shock which has Potassium Monosulflate. Are these ok to add to my Baquacil pool?

I have the regular Baquacil Algecide which has some Benzyl Ammonium Chloride which I thought was Ok for treating Mustard algae which they said was my problem because of the brown dust that accumulates on the bottom of my pool daily and the brown ring on the water line of my vinyl pool liner.

Any advice?

Should I return the products I bought?

Thanks guys!
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Algecides and Shock?

I'm just curious, with all the problems I've read on this forum about baq products, have you considered converting to BBB? I'm just being nosy. I don't know anything about those products but I'm sure one of the chem experts like Waterbear will chime in.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'm just curious, with all the problems I've read on this forum about baq products, have you considered converting to BBB? I'm just being nosy. I don't know anything about those products but I'm sure one of the chem experts like Waterbear will chime in.
    Yea, this pool is just temporary until the inground pool is built during the fall/winter. We actually just converted from Chlorine to Baquacil. But I agree it's a bit problematic. We are most likely installing a SWG on the new pool using bleach as a shock?
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

You do not want to use the Yellow Out, it will conflict with the baquacil. I am not sure either way on the MPS, though I suspect it will also conflict.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School