Please confirm my opening process!

May 23, 2013
Rockwood, Michigan
Opened Monday - Loop Loc cover so of course green water.
Green gone. Working to today so couldn't stay one top of it hourly.
Water is just not clear. Can see drains barely in 7' deep in. Assume I just need to keep at shock level and watch FC loss hourly.
Readings: CYA=35 therefore target 14 for shock process. CC=0.0; TA=110; CH=190; pH=7.6. Using TFT100 kit of course.
Hourly through mid afternoon seemed to lose 2.0 FC per hour. Calculator had me putting in about 75 oz 12% bleach per hour.
Unfortunately, about 4pm ran out of the drops for the chlorine power test. Already ordered replacements from TFT kits but have to wing it until then.
The pool was only losing 1.0 overnight dusk to dawn every day this week.
I'm leaving for two days (Indy 500). Left the wife and kids these instructions:
8am: Add 1 gallon.
Every hour: Add 75 oz.
8pm: Add 1 gallon.
24,000 gallon pool.
Maybe the drops arrive tomorrow and we can test.
However, if there is some other way to clear up the cloudiness quickly I'm all ears.
Started using TFP method last year, but had already opened it and bombed it with shock (with clarifier) so not use to it taking days to clear up cloudiness.
That said, pool never had nicer water or was easier to take care of (with 40% less filter run time!) than it was last year!

Thanks.
John

Your doing fine.

Sand filters take a little while to fully clear up the water, often a week, sometimes longer. As long as you see some improvement from day to day you are doing fine.

Towards the later stages of the cleanup it often helps to add a little DE to the sand filter. See the section on adding DE to a sand filter in the How To section of pool school.

I would Brush and SLAM til it clears and then perform the OCLT outlined here :lookhere: Overnight FC Loss Test. Have you given your wife the test kit and let her do some testing? If she can cook and follow a recipe, she can test and dose a pool accurately while you're away. ;)

Thanks I will check into the DE section.
Haven't had the wife mess with the pool, but one of my girls can test if I get the package from TFTestkits tomorrow!
Keeping up with the brush and SLAM is the objective (just winging it on the hourly adds since I was tardy replacing my FAS-DPD reagent), then when it's clear I'll move on to the overnight test - familiar with that from last year!
Interesting I called local Leslie's to see if by chance they had reagent for FAS-DPD test and they did not, but they did tell me that it is the most accurate way to test chlorine ("nobody else does it that way, though"), LOL!

Thanks I will check into the DE section.
Haven't had the wife mess with the pool, but one of my girls can test if I get the package from TFTestkits tomorrow!
Keeping up with the brush and SLAM is the objective (just winging it on the hourly adds since I was tardy replacing my FAS-DPD reagent), then when it's clear I'll move on to the overnight test - familiar with that from last year!
Interesting I called local Leslie's to see if by chance they had reagent for FAS-DPD test and they did not, but they did tell me that it is the most accurate way to test chlorine ("nobody else does it that way, though"), LOL!
Hey, they knew that much! I hope you remembered that clerk's name in case you ever need to buy something at a pool store.

HaHa...her name is just missing the last "a" of a good Mexican restaurant drink! Very nice lady, but sold me a lot of unnecessary **** over the last decade until I discovered you guys. I always thought she was kind of honest in a way though, knowing she was pushing chems on me because I wasn't bothering to educate myself back then! She had this look like "if you're not gonna help yourself, I'm kinda forced to hard sell you this stuff!" I started to wise up when I had algae problems and spent a couple hundy with the PhosFree stuff and it did absolutely nothing....

- - - Updated - - -

...oh, and just so that people don't think I said something too offensive, the **** from my post is something that I don't flinch when my kids say it, and I'm pretty strict. It wasn't the "S word"!!

It's a lot easier when pool owners are willing to learn. You can tell when you have a pool owner who does their home work, orders the reliable test kits and want to reap the benefits of beautiful pool water. Hoping your daughter will help you out and start testing. Makes it easier when you can count on a little helper when you can't do it yourself. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.