Year round pool?

May 20, 2014
Riverside, CA
We live in sunny southern CA and have our first 50' lap pool. I was sad to discover that although the ambient temperatures in late October, November, even December are perfect, the water gets cold. Any advice how to reasonably heat in the winter months? I know the benefits of solar covers but even cut in several pieces I think they may be more pain than they are worth as I would have to handle it on my own and am not strong. I was also told that they would probably give me two months. I would like to achieve 77 degree water in the winter. We have a gas heater and I have been using it as needed now that the sun helps heat. In the spring the cost is manageable but in the winter probably not. My water temp was 68 in late October and I made the sorry mistake of swimming in it. It was just too cold. An automatic cover won't work well in our case as I have a raised deck with steps on one end. I tried Cover Free and due to high winds it did nothing but collect more insects. Anyone know anything about electric heat pumps? I was thinking of using the gas heater just for the spa and investing in an electric heat pump to extend my swim season from 5 months to 10, or at least that would be the goal. Our pool is not deep, 5' in the deep in the center with two shallow ends at 3 1/2 ft each, surface of pool is a light blue pebble. We do receive direct sun most of the day.

Thanks! I just purchased a couple of solar blankets I am going to cut into pieces to help hold in the gas heat and help me to manage alone. I think you are right about the heat pump. We will have to look into them. We don't have a large south facing roof so solar wouldn't work long enough.

Do you have natural gas? How expensive was it to heat the pool during the cold months? A heat pump will not draw in much heat when the outside ambient temps are in the 60's or below. The best thing is a cover to keep the heat in the water from the gas heater during the cold days.

Thanks! I didn't have a solar cover so I never tried heating it in the winter. I started heating in April and the bill wasn't too bad. I have a solar cover on order and I will see how the gas heater costs go. I plan to cut the cover in small sections as I won't be able to handle the cover otherwise, even with a reel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.