Noisy pump. Advice needed please.

May 1, 2011
London, UK
Hi All,

I have an Espa Silen 50M SP12 pump and it's a little noisy. I have only just started the pool up but don't recall it making this noise. Don't get me wrong, it's not screaming at me. Also, today I connected my vacuum hose to the pool inlet and heard the pump slow down whilst it tried to remove the air in the hose (I did try and fill the hose up with water beforehand but obviously there was still some in there). It returned to normal speed after about 30 seconds or less. I also noticed that the return flow into the pool with the vacuum hose connected was nowhere near as powerful as without but I'm not sure if this is normal anyway.

Any advice really appreciated.

DK

Loud pump usually points to bearing going bad ... you may limp along for awhile. You will either need to have the bearings replaced, or use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a 2-speed motor and likely retain your existing pump.

You are adding more restriction to the suction line with the hose, so flow will normally be decreased.

It is a motor with 2 speeds :D :lol:

Not sure what else to say. On high it would have the same performance as you existing pump. On low speed it would run at half the RPM and move half the water, but only use 1/4 of the amount of electricity. So even if you ran on low for twice as long, you would still save 50% of your running cost.

You have a pump "wet end" which is what I was saying you could keep and on the back of it the motor is bolted to the pump. You can just replace the electrical motor with a new motor if the wet end is still in good shape.

The speed selection is not a change in voltage it lowers the amps used ... there are 2 different windings in the 2-speed motors. There there is a simple switch that is used to select the speed (or a timer or automation can be used to switch speeds, but this is not usually needed).

Maybe these are not as common on that side of the pond?

Are you thinking that replacing the motor is more work than replacing the entire pump? I guess that depends on how your plumbing is done and your level of experience.

Replacing the motor is usually removing 4 bolts, spinning off the impeller, and disconnecting the wires. Then just the reverse with a new shaft seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.