First Opening...Help!

On pool calculator, why does it state: "Note: Be careful if your CYA is really and truly zero!"

Because your FC will be burned off by the sun in a mater of hours (certainly over a sunny day) no matter how high you have it. Then you have 0 FC and and an algae bloom ready to happen. With 0 CYA your SWCG will not keep up. With bleach you'd need to be standing next to your pool with bleach in hand all day. I jest slightly on the last part but not much.

I picked up cya from Walmart...how do I dispense it? Can I add it during the day?

20 x 40 single roman end, ~40,000 gallon, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ65 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, polaris 380 with Booster Pump

No, should it be?

20 x 40 single roman end, ~40,000 gallon, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ65 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, polaris 380 with Booster Pump

I'm thinking about adding just 4lbs of hth stabilizer and conditioner to raise the level to 10 ppm. Sound right?

Yes turn it off till we know for sure your algae free and know reason to SLAM pool. Then you can get the water set up for it. You can use bleach until then.
The CYA level for a SWG is 70-80 ppm. Do you have any salt in the pool ?

I'm thinking about adding just 4lbs of hth stabilizer and conditioner to raise the level to 10 ppm. Sound right?

You can take the CYA to 30 if you have enough.

Can CYA hurt the liner? I have 4 lbs in a nylon hanging from the edge of the deep end return.

No not the way your doing it. Make sure it's not resting against the liner. Give it a squeeze every once in a while to help it dissolve.
Take a look at this article about . SWG
This is where you are heading if you don't have to SLAM the pool.
How does the water look. No signs of algae and water is crystal clear ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400163443.931105.jpg

Does this look correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400164312.411118.jpg

Here's what my pool looks like now....

The SWG link takes me to a heat pump thread...thanks for all your help. I'm finally understanding my pool's chemistry.

The SWG link takes me to a heat pump thread...thanks for all your help. I'm finally understanding my pool's chemistry.

Sorry. Are you using Tapatalk ? If you are the link I gave you from my phone using Tapatalk won't work on Tapatalk. I don't know why it's weird. They work if you view them on a computer.

I'll check on my computer. So far I have added 4 lbs of stabilizer and 2 gallons of bleach. I also turned off my SWG. I'll check the levels later in the day. Even though it takes a week for the stabilizer to register, does it help now?

Don't bother testing for CYA now. It takes up to a week for it to fully register on a test. You can get more. You can add another batch before you have to test. You need to get to 70-80 ppm for the SWG. Take it up in steps so you don't over shoot.
What level did the 4lbs get you to ? Pool math would have told you what level 4 lbs would take it.

I'm guessing it will get me to just under 15 ppm. I will add another 4 lbs this afternoon (that should get me to around 29). Even though it doesn't fully register, does it start protecting FC now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.