To seal or not to seal... That is my question

DCFan9

Aug 7, 2013
A little history first: My pool is currently under construction. It was dug and shot with gunite back in fall. Now that this long winter is over in the northeast and construction has finally resumed. Hopefully our pavers will be completed this week and we can get the pool plastered in the next 2 weeks.
That brings me to my question/s: I noticed a lot of efforvescence around the pool walls (while having to stare at them for the past 5 + months). A friend of a friend whom is a pool builder saw my pool and said that I should seal my pool prior to the plaster to prevent further efforvescence and protect my plaster He said if I did not do this then the efforvescence could come through the plaster later. Does this sound right? Do you know of people doing this to their pools?

Last edited:
I sealed my pool. I did mine primarily because it is a negative edge pool and the negative edge wall will have water flow on both sides. Also if not treated properly, I could have problems with effervescence and tile or stone pooping off the wall. It never hurts to have it done although, pool builders seldom do it.

Thanks for the feedback! I would only be sealing the interior of the pool as we do not have a negative edge or raised beams. Does efflorescence ever come through plaster if not sealed?

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.