Help With Polaris Booster Leak / Plumbing

Apr 1, 2013
Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me with several issues related to a Polaris Zodiac Halycon / PB4-60Q booster pump. We purchased a home that has this pump plumbed as shown in the attached photo. photo 2 (1).JPG

The pump leaks slightly near the bottom of the area where the volute attaches to the back plate. I replaced the shaft seals and re-lubed the o-ring to no avail. (I did neglect to lube the rubber part of the shaft seal insert before installing, but hopefully there was still a good seal). I see the Jandy instructions indicate that RTV silicone can be placed on the "sealing surface" of the volute, 1/4" from the inner diameter of the sealing surface. I am not sure where that would be given that this would seem to be very near to the o-ring (unless it is intended to go over the o-ring once installed).?

Does this suggest I need a new volute or pump? Or that perhaps I somehow damaged or improperly installed the new shaft seals? (I believe I was reasonably careful to not contaminate the mating surfaces).

As a secondary question, while trying to service the pump now that the pool is running, I cannot seem to stop waterflow to the pump. I closed the Jandy valve upstream from the booster (which feeds a pool return line) and also plugged the return line with a rubber stopper in the pool. I also plugged the side cleaner inlet with a rubber stopper. The pump inlet seemed to still provide water endlessly with no diminution in pressure. What can I be missing? (the equipment pad is well down a hill from the pool level).

If I try to remedy this situation, should I cut the PVC inlet to the booster and insert a ball valve and a union? (I assume I can glue the ball valve in even with the water at a reasonable gush). This might make future servicing or replacing of the pump easier as it would appear to be glued to hard piping.

Any help that can be provided for my woes would be most appreciated.

:salut:

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 49
GRRRR ... I just had a huge response typed out and accidentally made it gone :(

First, I think plumbers like this should loose both their arms. They must have a contest to see who can use the least amount of pipe and in turn screw the homeowner. If you even have a leak in that manifold, you are going to have to rip out 6 of those $50 valves and start from scratch. Anyway, back to your questions.

I do not know about the pump leak, someone else will have to help

You are right that you need a valve on the small pipe to prevent the pool from draining back to the pump. But you should not use primer and solvent on wet pipe/fittings, so you are going to have to plug the returns that are fed by the "Pool L" line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.