Opened the pool up. Green and swampy.

BUT ... since you have not been adding enough DE, you may have clogged up your grids. So, I would be more inclined to tear it apart sooner than later to start fresh. I may also do it again after the SLAM.

I guess my question is still kind of there though, how do you know when to completely take the grids out and either spray them off or soak them in solution.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

That complete cleaning is usually done once a year under normal operating conditions.
In your case like Jason suggested, you didn't add enough DE and exposed the grids while SLAMming without enough DE on them. It might be a good time to break it down now and give them a good cleaning.

Question:

Took the filter apart today and sprayed out off and put it back together. (I backwashed it first and was surprised how there was almost do DE left on the grids)

Any ways now when I start the filter up its at 14psi but with in 20 to 30 mins it's already back to 20psi and the flow out of the returns is noticeably less.

I guess my question has two parts.

1 during night and while at work should I just leave the pump on recirc?

2 is this because of all the **** being killed by the SLAM and I just have to keep backwashing over and over until it's clear? (At 5lbs of DE a backwash that's alot of DE)

And lastly I would assume that I should leave the robot out of the pool until the SLAM is over. Is this correct?

Thanks guys!

If it's clogging that fast, then Recirc would be the best thing if you're not around to backwash. Yes, you will have to filter that stuff out. The alternative is a manual vacuum and set the multiport to waste. But if the stuff is all in suspension, that won't work.

Just curious on how long the SLAM process should take? It is making a slight improvement each day and I have never let the FC below 10 (and that was after a full day at work) the CC is some where between 1.5 and 2.5 (it varies).

Randomly I checked my PH and it has to be close to 6.8.

I also checked my CyA and that was 40ish but I thought read that CYA readings were not accurate during a SLAM.

I was slightly concerned though if maybe keeping the FC between 12 and 14 wasn't high enough (if the cya lvl was accurate)

The shallow is slowung becoming visible but not the deep end. If it keeps going at this rate we are talking about 1 to 2 more weeks.

Hey Neighbor!! :mrgreen:

Keep SLAM'ing and filtering. I highly suggest brushing your pool at least once a day. I just went back to read your thread and looked at your pics... it could take the better part of a week or so to clear to the sparkly pool water most of us have. Those DE filters are MONSTERS when it comes to clearing a swamp. :lol: they clog at the drop of a hat!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is the ph that isn't accurate above a reading of 10 then should I be concerned that some how my cya reading went from 0 to 60? I did have 10 lbs of cya in a sock but pulled it out. Not sure how much got in the pool but not all of it.

Confused?

I read it again last night and got 60. If that reading is accurate I need between 16 and 24 FC ppm not the 12 to 14 that I have been holding.

I don't understand how it would have went so high when the sock isn't even empty?

I would trust your cya readings - especially since you got the same number twice ... if your pool isn't clear, then check it again after the water is clear.

CYA could be high if your initial reading was really not 0 ... the test is hard to read for 20 or less ... so could be that you started out with 20 instead of 0 ... Or your pool is smaller than estimated.

I would trust your cya readings - especially since you got the same number twice ... if your pool isn't clear, then check it again after the water is clear.

CYA could be high if your initial reading was really not 0 ... the test is hard to read for 20 or less ... so could be that you started out with 20 instead of 0 ... Or your pool is smaller than estimated.

I used the HTH Stablizer from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner/17043638) 2.5 Buckets Worth (4lbs per bucket) and there is still a bit in the stock.

My water is uber cloudy idk if that is playing into it at all. And man is that test hard to read.

Should I stay with the 12-14 ppm or try and up to to the 18-24 that i would need if my CYA is that high?

Playing with pool math the only way I could have shot my CYA that high was if i was already at like 15 and not 0. Weird. And like I said the sock still has a lot in it. Ill drain some out and get it down after the SLAM i guess. I just want to get the SLAM over with. Wife keeps insisting that Baking Soda will "clear up the water" i have to keep telling her its going to be clear soon. (I need some POP too lol)

Although Pool Math says I would have to drain 50% of my pool to get from 60 to 30 CYA thats 20k gallons :(

So any who.....What level should i have my SLAM at then? http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

When you got the 40 and the 60 for CYA were you testing during the day in bright sunlight with your back to the sun and the tube at waist level in the shade of your body? I think lower lighting is what shows a higher CYA than it really is and you mentioned "last night" for the 60 CYA reading and your post with the 40 CYA reading was after 8pm.

I think that might be a good idea. If there is not enough light you'd get a false high reading, if there is bright direct light (direct sun) you'll get a false low reading. (I think I'm correct on that one..)

The cya test is a pain in the neck but it's pretty darn important. :)

Take a sample. Let it get room temp and then test it. Your water is cold because mine is too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.