Pepper for salt water pools

Neal

Jul 11, 2012
SW Michigan
I am planning to convert my pool to salt water this summer. I was talking to a pool maintenance person recently and he recommended a product called "pepper", which is supposed to eliminate some of the corrosive negatives of salt water (if I understood him correctly). Anyone out there knowledgeable about this product and its usefulness? No, I am not referring to the spice and condiment! I googled pepper for pools and did find the product, but not a lot of information about it.

They don't give much of a hint about what it contains, and none of their claims have anything to do with solving the "corrosive negatives of salt water" (which are extremely few).

As a general rule we advise keeping away from products which don't reveal their ingredients (at least in a general way). And further to avoid products which work in multiple ways, since usually you only need some of the modes of action, yet are always paying for all of them.

I tried to find some information but there is very little to be had. I doubt it is anything revolutionary, most likely some buffering agents and non-chlorine oxidizers in a "proprietary" formulation.

It's from the makers of ez-pool. My understanding is that it basically ez-pool minus bicarb and calcium. Best to be avoided. I'm not sure if it contains copper.

The main ingredients are potassium persulfate (a known irritant) and a clarifier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.