Chemistry behind Nature²

Nature2 uses copper, silver, and aluminum oxide ions. http://www.appatek.com/MSDS/Zodiac/CF.pdf
You don't need nor especially want those in your pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...s-and-quot-chemical-free-quot-pools-The-Truth! Unless you're a real fan of the Joker.

cesarromerojoker-764782.jpg

If you search Nature2 in the search box, you'll find several threads. I recall several about the canisters splitting. Here's one. Somewhere there's anopther where the beads actaully clogged the main drain.

Not to totally disagree with Richard, but it is EPA approved to use Nature2 with MPS (I think) in the spa environment as being discussed here.
I would certainly not recommend it for a pool though.

Nature2 for spas is different than for pools. There is no copper used, probably because algae doesn't usually grow in spas because they are dark (with a cover) and too hot at least some of the time. They use silver ions for sure and I believe zinc, but it's the silver that is critical because when combined with potassium monopersulfate at hot spa temperatures the combination achieves kill times fast enough to pass EPA DIS/TSS-12. (The silver ions with MPS at hot temperatures create sulfate free radicals and divalent silver ions that are the likely chemicals with faster disinfection rates.) So this is an EPA-approved disinfectant for spas.

You would use the MPS after each soak to oxidize bather waste and you'd maintain an MPS level in between soaks as your disinfectant. See the Nature2 Spa Mineral Sanitizer Owner's Manual for approximate dosing instructions, but the rule-of-thumb without an ozonator is that every person-hour of soaking requires around 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS) to oxidize bather waste.

You would still probably have to dose with some chlorine every week or two to keep the spa clear. MPS doesn't oxidize all the same things as chlorine -- interestingly, it doesn't oxidize ammonia much at all.

I bought a home three years ago and it also has a Nature2 pool cartridge. I just leave the canister empty and the water flows through. My understanding is that some of the canisters require a filter for flow through. If you take out the filter out of the canister and still have flow you are probably good. Not using it saves around a $100 bucks a year

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.