Solar cover and reel recommendations and questions

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm considering a solar cover for my pool to keep the temps up.

1) It looks like it'll interfere with my polaris pool vac. Do I take the vac out when it's covered, or just not run it?
2) I get a lot of tree debris- with a cover on, the skimmer isn't going to be able to get the stuff. And I'm guessing I can't skim the pool either with a net. How do you deal with leaves?
3) Will my pool guard alarm work with a solar cover?
4) Does the cover stay attached to the reel? So if my pool is 45' long, I need at least a 50 footer?
5) Is it more danerous for kids and dog if they fall on a solar cover?

My pool is a 45x12 with a love seat, step area, and it a small taper at the back, so it should be easy to have a reel at the end of the pool.

I'm considering a solar cover for my pool to keep the temps up.

1) It looks like it'll interfere with my polaris pool vac. Do I take the vac out when it's covered, or just not run it?
2) I get a lot of tree debris- with a cover on, the skimmer isn't going to be able to get the stuff. And I'm guessing I can't skim the pool either with a net. How do you deal with leaves?
3) Will my pool guard alarm work with a solar cover?
4) Does the cover stay attached to the reel? So if my pool is 45' long, I need at least a 50 footer?
5) Is it more dangerous for kids and dog if they fall on a solar cover?

My pool is a 45x12 with a love seat, step area, and it a small taper at the back, so it should be easy to have a reel at the end of the pool.

1) It probably won't interfere with your cleaner
2) The leaves will land on the cover and fall off the end as you roll it up. I use my hose with a Bullseye nozzle and sweep the crud into the skimmer before I roll the cover off the pool.
3) Yes
4) It attaches with straps that are either screwed or velcroed onto the reel.
5) Very much so. Falling onto a solar cover keeps you from swimming but can still put you under water. If you get under the cover, it is extremely difficult to raise it.

#5 is a deal killer for me. The way my house is set up, the dog always access to the pool. And if the kids can either unlatch the screen porch door, crawl out dog door, or even open the back door the yard, they have access to the pool. No easy/cheap way to secure the pool from the house without $5,000+ and 120' of safety fence in the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.