Periodic failure to prime in morning??

Apr 17, 2014
Stuart,FL
Have no air leaks at suction side but coming home to find my pump didn't prime 8 hours ago,yikes!!Has solar heaters(helicol) and got me stumped ,I work on pumps all the time and with no air or water leaks at suction side I am thinking purely solar problem ,check valve not functioning and trying to force to roof before prime and or bad in line thermostat leaving valve open and same problem .Lucky pump hasn't burnt out but melted strainer basket .We'll anyone please jump in.
Thanks

Just to be sure pump does not lose prime ,it has periodic failure in the morning too prime.Turned solar off yesterday at end of day,this morning water all the way to top of filter basket cover no problems priming ,However the solar was as I said off.I do have a slight leak now where the 90 degree elbow is screwed in on the discharge side of the pump(must have heated the Teflon tape) , now I will have to replumb that line.

1 hp Starite Duraglass,Hayward filter,Helicol 10 panel solar system(standard plumbing w/1 electric valve to controller and 1 check valve on return side.Barracuda G3 updated.

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you had no leaks in your system, then the pump would NEVER lose prime once it had it. If your filter and pump are draining when the pump is off, then you have a leak somewhere (and it could be on the pressure side and allowing air to get sucked in). This should have nothing to do with the solar.

I am still not sure that makes sense ... technically I have an air leak in my solar too ... the vacuum release valve that is always open in my solar when my pump is not on. My filter and pump do not drain when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.