First time Pool Owner Question

I went in again they kind of laughed when I said I want to see the levels that changed added 80lbs of salt and 2qts of MA. But they changed. They are in the right level now. Anyway is there an easy way to clean a cartridge filter good? I feel like it takes forever and dirt goes from one end to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my levels are correct, from the pool store:
FC - 5
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 250
Stabilizer - 40
Salt - 2800

I know I can bring my stabilizer level up more, but if these levels are correct, and my pool is still a little cloudy, will it just take time for a cartridge filter to clear it up? How often should I clean the cartridge? Should I vacuum every day? Is it safe to swim in like this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hi i am only new here myself , but from what i have assertained.

you need to convince the landlord to drop the pool store testing and get the test kit for you , not any test kit such a strips etc , a good one like a taylor / tft

only then can you help yourself , and explain the pool stores only want to sell product , or else they would be out of business , explain to the landlord the kit will belong to her but you are just using it ... to not damage the pool

take control of the situation , you going to keep running to the pool store every couple of days ? once you have the test kit , you have a swg , other than some acid every now and then the pool should need little chemicals.

but you need to get to that stage first , and thats where the pool store tries to get you $$$ for things that arent needed , algecides etc

that should work.

I'm balanced now except for CYA idk if I'll be able I get that today being Easter. I'm not sure what stores are open. I'd imagine wal mart is but I looked in wal mart last night and there was none in there. I've been running my filter 24/7 and it's cleared some over night. I think reading somewhere on here I saw a cartridge filter could take up to a week to completely clear. Did I read that correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem here is, you don't know for sure if you still have some algae trying to grow or not. That is why the OCLT was recommended by someone earlier. You really need the FAS/DPD test that comes with the kits they recommend here in order to do that OCLT test.

I know you are reading a lot, and you probably already read it, but the reason for the OCLT is to find out if you are losing any chlorine over night. That would be because of algae or other things that need to be gotten rid of in the pool. During the day you always lose chlorine because of the sun so you do this test over night and the only reason to lose chlorine is if it's still killing something.

If you had a kit and were able to do that test you could find out if you were done killing stuff and just waiting for it to filter out or if you were still fighting something in which case you need to go through the SLAM process. That is really important to know before you go and add CYA to help your SWG.

Yes the CYA should be higher for the SWG *BUT* that is once everything is killed in the pool and you're just running like normal.

Your pool is cloudy and could very well be trying to turn into a lovely algae bloom and if you raise your CYA now only to find out that you have to SLAM, you are going to need a lot more chlorine to SLAM at that higher level.

Your only other choice is to just follow what the landlord and pool store are saying and doing and deal with the results but you're the one who has to swim in that pool. If it were me I'd get the kit.

If my FC is maintaining a level of 5 from day to day with my SWG running 100% is that ok? I know my FC can be a lower level, but I have been running it at 100% 24/7. I cleaned my filter again today, it wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday but I figured it won't hurt. I also brushed the pool earlier in the day. It's slowly clearing, and I can see the difference 4-6 hours can make.

No, it's not ok. 100% with 24/7 on the pump only to maintain means your SWG is working way too hard, meaning there's something growing in the pool.

As a corollary, we have many members who finish the SLAM and have a hard time keeping their FC down. IE, pump at 6 hours/day and SWG at 20% with FC still climbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.