New liner / total water refill

That sound about right for a 30k pool that started at zero CYA

This is why I mentioned to change it. :) You'll be fine with your CYA. In almost 95% of the cases it got high from pucks/tabs/sticks. If PoolMath says add 6lbs CYA for a 40ppm mark, you'll end up with 40ppm. Only way to go higher is if your pool is smaller than what you put into the calculator.

Added the suggested 4 cups of 8.25% chlorox along with another 4lbs of CYA to bring the total CYA to 5lbs.

Gonna check the levels of everything tonight when home from work.
Did notice that the initial Addition of baking soda to bring up TA seemed to kick the pH up a tad - hoping that it looks ok this evening.
Planning on using Borax and Muriatic acid to take care of pH needs for the season.

Get some bleach in there right away. While that's mixing, mess around with the CYA granules and get them in a sock suspended in front of the return or dangling off a floating toy. If you scroll waaaay down on http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals, you'll see that the Baking Soda you need will have very little effect on pH. By the time you're done fussing with the CYa, the bleach should be mixed enough to add the Baking Soda.

Underestimate what you need; if anything comes up short, it's easy enough to add more later. Most pools aren't as big as manufacturers claim they are. Calculate volume using water depth, not sidewall height.

Since you're starting with fresh water, you have some breathing room; no algae to deal with right off the bat. Relax. It'll all be balanced long before the water's warm enough to get in.

Oh man!
I totally goofed - I added my CYA in sock (2 socks to be precise) - but for some reason thought it was suggested to drop the socks in the skimmer (!!)
Have I goofed significantly?

Can't imagine where I got that idea - but, ****, didn't even question it at the time.

I figure if it was in a sock, then, it dissolved into solution prior to entering the skimmer, so, hopefully will be the same effective -..............hopefully, that is!

Oh man!
I totally goofed - I added my CYA in sock (2 socks to be precise) - but for some reason thought it was suggested to drop the socks in the skimmer (!!)
Have I goofed significantly?

Can't imagine where I got that idea - but, ****, didn't even question it at the time.

I figure if it was in a sock, then, it dissolved into solution prior to entering the skimmer, so, hopefully will be the same effective -..............hopefully, that is!

That is fine, but you just need to make sure not to block the water flow in the skimmer. Also, have the pump running the entire time the CYA is in the sock in the skimmer. If you need to turn off the pump, remove the sock from skimmer to a plastic bucket until pump is back on. No worries for you.

The reason we suggest hanging the sock in front of the skimmer is due to backwashing issues. You could have some CYA still unmixed in your sand at this point, and if you were in the middle of the Slam process you could backwash some of the CYA out with the algae. With your water being clear, there should be little to no reason to backwash for the next few days. Dangling the sock in front of the return always seemed like a pain to me, and this is sooo much easier to do.........as long as you have no reason to backwash.

As Butterfly stated however.....don't turn off the pump when the CYA is in the skimmer. It could allow for the pH to drop rather low in the pump/skimmer and damage parts while there. As long as the pump is running however all is fine. :D

Presently my pH reading 7.2
CYA seems to be somewhere between 30 and 40
TA looks to be 70

Haven't checked the chlorine level yet, but did add 4 cups as per suggestion on this thread

How will I determine where I want to keep my CYA level ?
Will this be determined by the ultimate chlorine demand I notice as I get the hang of this whole thing?

If your CYA level is 40, that's a pretty good middle of the road level. If you feel you need more protection from the sun because your losing too much FC to it, you can go to 50. How much sun does your pool receive ?
When you did the CYA test the level will be determined by which number the sample was closest to when the dot disappeared. Make sure you adjust your FC level to your CYA level. ?

Left for the weekend and had one sunny day sunday with temp around low 70s
Checked TC on monday and had 0.5 to 1
Called for 96oz of 8.25%bleach on pool calculator to take to FC of 4

Added monday evening and tuesday morning the TC was pretty **** high - seemed certainly to be beyond 5 per color
Checked again this morning (wednesday) and still seems above 5
Monday and tuesday were both very sunny (direct) and high 70s

Does anyone think that 96oz of 8.25 bleach seems high?
Pool is 20000 gallons and CYA is right around 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use PoolMath to start by aiming by a 40ppm CYA mark. Then see what your FC drop is per day. If you're adding more than 2ish ppm of chlorine per day then bump your cya up to 50. Just depends on your pool. Keep in mind PoolMath isn't telling you what to put into your pool to make it stay clear. It's just telling you what you need to do to meet the "goals" YOU set.

You can add the chlorine and the CYA at the same time. I wouldn't wait until you get your TA where you want it....go ahead and start now. All the baking soda is mixed up, so there's no chance of any chemical reaction.

Steps I'd suggest tonight.......
1. Add 40PPM CYA (use PoolMath to figure out how much you need to add)
2. Add 3PPM Chlorine
3. Do a full set of tests (minus CYA) tomorrow and repost your results. We'll help you out more then. :D

The CYA test can take up to a week before the results can be 100% trusted. After you add the CYA, wait a week before retesting. Assume however you have the 40PPM after all the CYA is dissolved, usually takes about 12 hours or so. Having any CYA in your water is better than zero CYA, so the sooner you can get the CYA and Chlorine in there the better.

Ok
Today is about 10 days later and
CYA measuring between 20 and 30 mark - looking at waist level with back to the sun
pH between 7.2 and 7.5 (i'm not fully confident in my ability to finely distinguish the different hues of pink - but is somewhere in this range)
FC is 3 (added 30oz 8.25 bleach last night to bring from 2 to 3)
TA is 100

I know that my target CYA will depend upon how much FC I am loosing per day - i think that I don't want to be losing more than 1 ppm per day, Correct?
I think the pH is fine, right?
As for the TA, I'm not totally up on where this should be - I am a bit confused as to why it is reading solidly at 100 now when it was between 70 and 80 10 days ago and I haven't done anything knowingly that would cause it to raise?

- - - Updated - - -

Also
Pool Math page gives example of adjusting levels on a vinyl pool and addresses CH
I thought that CH wasn't something that I was supposed to concern myself with having a vinyl liner pool???

Ok
Today is about 10 days later and CYA measuring between 20 and 30 mark - looking at waist level with back to the sun
This test is a very hard one for new users to get the hang on. At this point you can slowly increase your CYA level to 40 now. It's always best to crawl while increasing numbers such as CYA, as if you go high you're left draining to lower. See what your pool does, if you're losing a ton of FC per day.....bump it up more. If you're only dropping 1or 2 parts per day.....then let it be. My pool works just fine with a 40ppm CYA level, even during the peak summer sun. In fact, there's several times I've even went lower, with little change in the amount of chlorine I lose per day.

pH between 7.2 and 7.5 (i'm not fully confident in my ability to finely distinguish the different hues of pink - but is somewhere in this range)
All is well here........Take a drink of an iced beverage. :D
FC is 3 (added 30oz 8.25 bleach last night to bring from 2 to 3)
You are at the lower end of your FC range. Do not let your FC level drop below 2 (at a 30ppm CYA reading) to avoid algae. I'd bump it up to around 6ppm knowing that you'll drop 2 or 3PPM per day. Starting high allows you to drop just a bit, while still staying well above the minimum. At no time let this go below 2 (at your current CYA level).

TA is 100
Drink an iced beverage.

I know that my target CYA will depend upon how much FC I am loosing per day - i think that I don't want to be losing more than 1 ppm per day, Correct?
2-3 Parts drop per day is very normal. Adjust your CYA level to assist you in keeping the chlorine in the pool. Remember however to increase your minimum FC level however to avoid algae.

As for the TA, I'm not totally up on where this should be - I am a bit confused as to why it is reading solidly at 100 now when it was between 70 and 80 10 days ago and I haven't done anything knowingly that would cause it to raise?
These readings are well in range still of the test kit accuracy. You're still in a good place, and this will find a "happy place" shortly as you lower your pH when needed. Don't worry about this at this point.........take another drink. :D

Also
Pool Math page gives example of adjusting levels on a vinyl pool and addresses CH
I thought that CH wasn't something that I was supposed to concern myself with having a vinyl liner pool???
Keep in mind PoolMath only tells you how to reach the numbers you input. It should show your "Goal" as being anywhere between 50-300 if you setup your surface and TFP for your goals. You are correct however........as long as you've got a CH on the low range.......take a drink. :D

You're well on your way, Hows the water look at this point?? How is your current supply of iced beverages?? :D

Leebo - thanks so much for the awesome and informative response - such great information!
I added some CYA to start steadily getting the level up to 40
As for the TC - i think i get it now a little better - i was thinking that 3-4 was a good range to keep the TC at but now i think that it would be advisable to aim for 6 if testing in the evening and count on a 2-3 drop during the day - regardless if CYA was to be 30 or 40

Shout out as I'm in Cola too. Keep following the great advice of the folks here and you will enjoy a trouble free pool......and hopefully 5-6 month swim season in our climate.......although a slow warm up THIS spring.

Shout out as I'm in Cola too. Keep following the great advice of the folks here and you will enjoy a trouble free pool......and hopefully 5-6 month swim season in our climate.......although a slow warm up THIS spring.

Very cool -
Have had the pool 11 years now and was Bioguard - ing it for years with astronomical CYA levels and, now that I have a new liner, I am super stoked to take care of the pool / water correctly from here on out.

CYA was 30, added enough to bring it up to 40, but have not re-tested yet as I am going to wait a full week as to not waste reagent.

CC is happily zero

FC has been being kicked up to 6 in the evenings and dropping to 4 by the next day/evening - seems to be only dropping closer to 5 in the past couple of days

pH was really hard to tell for me b/c I have a hard time w/ the pink gradation - but, both the wife and me felt comfortable that it was looking to be at 8 - so, I added enough liquid muriatic acid last night to bring down and it is presently looking like pH is 7.2

TA is reading 90 after adding muriatic acid

To the best of my knowledge, these numbers seem to be ok. I think the pH is certainly on the low end, but, not sure if this is something I should be overly concerned with presently as it is within normal range
How should I expect rain to affect the pH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.