Pre-gunite problem??

Flatlander

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2012
Oklahoma City
We are a couple of days, due to scheduling, away from shooting gunite and I have discovered an issue or problem. The channel main drain is in place with rebar going over the plumbing run across the bottom and up the wall. First problem my Pool Engineering report says main drain plumbing will not be within the shell. Second problem is with a 90 on the bottom of the channel drain and the rebar, there is no way the gunite can be more than 4" thick at the bottom of the deep end (8'). Not good, IMHO. I will post pics this morning.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, other than tearing it all out and doing it right? Thanks

Picture(s) would help a great deal. It is difficult to be sure of how things are setup without more information.

Normally the drain pipe would be in a trench below the depth that the bottom of the pool generally goes down to. In practice it will usually get encased in concrete, but outside the normal thickness of the wall/floor. It does have to pass through the bottom of the pool to reach the drain assembly, but that should be a short section that passes (more or less) straight through the bottom. Sort sections where the pipe goes through the floor/wall are fine, but it shouldn't be doing so for any substantial distance.

From what I can see in the pictures, that looks less than perfect but acceptable. It is normal for the drain it's self to take up space in the floor. The total area of the drain isn't all that large and won't be an issue. The pipes around the drain are at least mostly buried in the gravel and only protrude minimally into the floor area. The wall looks better, with some extra space allowed for plumbing. Based on the drain height, I am seeing roughly 7" of floor thickness in the general area around the drain, and the rebar appears to be correctly elevated above the gravel. I'd rather see the pipes fully buried in the gravel and perhaps another inch on the floor, but I don't think any of that is critical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.