Water went from clear to green in less than 24 hours

I came home this afternoon to find a crystal clear pool! I think once the AA dropped the FC level, it cleared right up. My wife said it happened in a matter of hours.

My new issue is where the iron is coming from. My water report from the town shows no iron in the water.

I came home this afternoon to find a crystal clear pool! I think once the AA dropped the FC level, it cleared right up. My wife said it happened in a matter of hours.

My new issue is where the iron is coming from. My water report from the town shows no iron in the water.

Any chance you live out near the end of a water line? Often, rust and sediment accumulates because there is no flow past a spot and when you pull a lot of water you get some iron in the water. That would assume older water lines in your area. If they ever send you a notice that they will be flushing hydrants, ask the people doing it if there is rusty water in the area.

Any fertilizer around the pool?

This past summer during a very heavy storm have my box drains in the yard backed up causing a lot of water and sediment from the yard to flow into the pool. Could that bring iron into the pool if the yard had been fertilized months earlier? Does all fertilizer contain iron?

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance you live out near the end of a water line? Often, rust and sediment accumulates because there is no flow past a spot and when you pull a lot of water you get some iron in the water. That would assume older water lines in your area. If they ever send you a notice that they will be flushing hydrants, ask the people doing it if there is rusty water in the area.

The lines near my house would be less than 20 years old.

Sure it could, and there may be some iron in your soil. Most fertilizers don't have much or any Iron unless you specifically buy those types.

John T's theory on the pipe Iron could still hold true, even on 20 year old water lines in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.