Connecting backwash piping to sewer

Milan

Feb 4, 2014
Hi,

I need to connect my new backwash pipes to our sewer - but the guy at the pool shop says I cannot connect it directly. He explained that I need some sort of air gap between the pipe and sewer - ie having the backwash pipe 20cm about the sewer grate ie it is not allowed to physically touch it. However, I cant have a pipe sticking 20cm above the ground where my sewer grate is in our yard - it will get in the way. Is there another way?

Kind regards,
Milan

It all hinges on your local codes. If the code specifically calls for a 20cm separation then you will have to maintain that in order to comply with code. They may allow a double check valve and vent configuration but you'll have to check the local codes to find out the specific wording.

It all hinges on your local codes. If the code specifically calls for a 20cm separation then you will have to maintain that in order to comply with code. They may allow a double check valve and vent configuration but you'll have to check the local codes to find out the specific wording.

What do you guys have in the States?

I'd guess by "sewer" you really mean a storm drain? (eg grate in a yard collects water run-off, not actual household waste water).

Here, I'm with bama - I direct the water towards the edge of my property and it gets picked up by a swale and into a ditch and off with the other water. Then again our soil is very sandy and a lot of water just goes away into the sand before getting anywhere.

Our backwash for our de filter was run around to the front of our house to the sewer cleanout, not to be confused with the street storm drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.