Saltwater system

Jan 21, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Hi everyone
I'm knew here. I have tried to do a search on this forum for this, but didn't see anything that full answered my question. I was thinking about getting a Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System for my new intex ultra 18'x4' above ground pool. My question is if I would buy this does it mean I would not need to use any other chemicals? Also is this something a beginner like me would even want? Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

All a SWG does is "generate" chlorine from the salt you add to the pool water so you do not have to add chlorine everyday.

You would still need to be testing everything (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA) and would likely need to use chemicals to adjust the other parameters. Most notably, SWGs tend to make the pH rise, so you would likely need regular acid additions.

A SWG is about convenience, so often it is better for a beginner to maintain the pool themselves through daily testing and chlorine addition to learn to the chemistry and the way their pool behaves. Then add a SWG so the daily chlorine additions are not needed (although you still need to test often to dial in the SWG output).

But, there is no reason you can not start with a SWG. Have you read through Pool School yet?

Welcome, and wait for some responses or try searching again in a few days (the search function is a work in progress here as part of the big software switch last weekend, but should be better in a few days). I don't know a lot about the current intex SWG system other than they incheapend it a few years ago (quality, not price) and the old one was much better than the new offering, I don't know if that is still the current version though. There are several other brands of salt water chlorinators on the market though, some easier to self install than others. Just remember ease of installation does not always mean best for you, some products cut too many corners in the name of making it easy to install, such as those that dangle over the side of the pool and tend to bleach out the liner at that point.

Ike

I like the ease of having a SWCG. It makes my daily pool task easier. When I first got our pool, I tested daily, added bleach, brushed. I learned alot about my pool that way. During the summer I test weekly, during the winter I test by-weekly or so. I added a SWCG for the convenient. I still have to manually add bleach once in a while, before or after a pool party (more of preventative measure), or if the SWCG is having issues.
But overall it is a nice addition to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.