Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D.E. or Cartridge with SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

D.E. or Cartridge with SWG?

I am about to have a pool installed and originally the set up was for a chlorine pool. I had D.E. with my last pool and was pretty good at backwashing and adding D.E. on a regular basis. However I decided to go Saltwater and I'm concerned if the backwashing and loss of saltwater will be a big enough issue to consider switching to cartridge..
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: D.E. or Cartridge with SWG?

Not enough to worry about. Besides, the cost of salt is cheeeeep.
    A cartridge filter means less water lost from the pool to clean the cartridge. Backwashing a DE or Sand filter dumps out less than 100 gallons.

Figure it this way, to maintain 3000 ppm, you would have to dump out 2,000 gallons of water to require adding back 50 lbs of salt. $6.00 maybe?

As I said, not enough to worry about.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! You answered my question very well and I am sticking with the DE filter. I know this reply is not needed but I felt ungrateful if I didnt let you know I was going with your information They dug the hole over the last 2 days. I'm sure I will be asking more questions as the installation comes along..
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

4. Back To Top    #4

You might also want to consider where you are dumping the backwashed water. It will have salt in it so dumping it on landscaping and/or the grass may cause problems over time. Some things are salt tolerant but the salt will build up over time. If you have a hard drain plumbed to the sewer, then you don't have to worry about it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater