Pool equipment questions, including salt system?

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I am an architect working on a project for a custom home in Los Angeles that has a pool with integrated spa. The owner would like to use a single heater for both pool and spa. TFP has helped immensely with my own pool so hopefully someone can give some advice on the following questions.

1. What salt system should I use based on the other specified pool equipment for the project? I have an Eco-matic but the I am not sure if that is recommended based on the mostly Pentail specs below.
2. Can I use a single pump for both pool and spa?
3. Can I use a single filter for both pool and spa?
4. Can I use a single heater for both pool and spa?
5. Does the Pentair pool control work like a Jandy remote? Is is just a mobile device app or do they make an actual physical remote?

Here is my current spec:

Pool/Spa Pump
Manufacturer: Pentair Pool Products
Product: Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
Model: 011018

Pool Filter
Filtration: Clean and Clear Plus Filters
Product: 160332
Model: CCP520

Spa Filter
Filtration: Clean and Clear Plus Filters
Product: 160340
Model: CCP320

Pool Heater
Product: MasterTemp Heater
Model: 460736

Spa Blower
Manufacturer: Air Supply
Product: Outdoor Spa Blowers
Model: Silencer, 2.0 h.p.

Water Leveler
Manufacturer: Zodiac
Product: Levelor Electronic water leveling system

Pool Equipment Controls
Manufacturer: Pentair
Product: Easy Touch 8 function pool and spa controller w/IPad interface

Pool and Spa Cleaner
Manufacturer: Blue Square
Product: Q360 In-Floor System
Color: To be determined by Architect

Pool and Spa Skimmer
Manufacturer: A&A Manufacturing
Product: Ecoskim
Color: To be determined by Architect

Pool Lights
Manufacturer: Hydrel
Model: 4426 LED Wet Niche Monochromatic Pool Light

Thanks in advance for your help!

Beware that many companies are now vastly limiting the warranty period if the equipment is not installed by a professional. I think you can still get the Pentair 3 year warranty with 3+ pieces of equipment bought from the same place at the same time if installed by a professional.

Using the same pump and filter for both can be tricky if the spa doesn't spill into pool. It can be done I have a customer that has it set up this way. But since they already have a filter for spa I would go ahead and do a smaller pump for the hot tub. Idk what everyone else's thinks about that but I found it hard to get the valves just right to where it wouldn't drain the spa, or make it over flow on my customers spa and pool when he has it on the same pump and filter

jblizzle said:
Beware that many companies are now vastly limiting the warranty period if the equipment is not installed by a professional. I think you can still get the Pentair 3 year warranty with 3+ pieces of equipment bought from the same place at the same time if installed by a professional.

Jason is correct. Take a look at this article explaining the changes to warranties by the "Big 3."

http://www.poolspanews.com/retailing/big-three-revise-warranties_o.aspx?dfpzone=general

"Pentair Aquatic Systems recently revised its long-standing program. Warranties on a number of Pentair’s products — including pumps, filters and heaters — will be limited to 60 days unless the equipment is installed by a certified professional. In that case, it will be protected for one to five years, depending on the product. In the past, Pentair offered repairs or replacements for a full year or more, regardless of who performed the installation."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.