Pool / Spa Replacement Pump.... different pressure?

Jan 31, 2013
I have a 13,000 gallon concrete pool with a spillover spa.
Originally I had a Jacuzzi pump on this system. Can't remember the model number, but it was a 15 year old 1-1/2 hp unit. Replaced unit with a 1-1/2 hp Hayward SuperPump Single Speed. Pressure has never been the same in the spa. No bubbles, etc. Checked all lines and no blockage. venture valves are clean. I know I can install a blower, but since the system worked fine all these years without one, why would I need one now? Any ideas? Different output on different manufacturers?

Superpump is an up rated pump and has a lower head curve than most other pumps of the same label HP. More than likely, the Jacuzzi pump was a full rated pump with a higher head curve and more suited to spas. When replacing pumps for spas, looking at the label HP is not enough. You must compare the pump head curves to make sure the head curve is at least as high as the old head curve.

Then it becomes difficult. But one thing for sure is the 1.5 HP Superpump is wrong pump for your application. If you want to stick with the Hayward brand, a better choice and one that would work well with the spa is the Tristar 2 HP up rated 2 speed pump # SP3215X202 and has the equivalent power of a 1.5 HP full rate pump which is probably what you had before.

It is not the brand that is the problem ... it is the fact that you bought a "smaller" pump even though the HP may be listed the same.

The Hayward Super II or the Tristar are bigger than the Super Pump you bought. Similarly the Pentair Whisperflo may be appropriate where the Superflo would again be too small.

Either way I would certainly recommend a 2 speed pump ... although confirm that your pump is wired for 230V since you can not get the larger 2-speed pumps for 115V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.