First SLAM - finished at last!

Re: First SLAM - persevering...

Went to take the picture and my camera battery died! Doh!

Will recharge it and snap photo ASAP. :)

Do you think raising the FC to 40 was a happy accident? I didn't mean to get it that high but it did seem to do the trick.

Took a few pictures. The pool is still quite shady at this point in the morning but hopefully you get the idea. Here you go:

DSC09602.JPG

Full pool from east

DSC09603.JPG

Full pool from west (on top of the diving board :))

DSC09604.JPG

View of drain

DSC09601.JPG

DSC09605.JPG

Two views of the black spot on bottom of pool

DSC09606.JPG

Black spot under water return (and black staining around water return)

CC is 0.5 or lower;
PASS :party: :party: :party:
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Sounds to me like you're finished. Now go take a nap! Go ahead an cut back on the pump time to around 8 hours for now. Allow the FC to drop down to around 8....but NEVER let it drop below 6. Once your FC drops to around 10 test the PH and adjust if needed. The largest thing you can do whenever possiable is to lower your CYA level. In sunny CA you will help yourself out a TON by trying to lower the CYA level to around 60 tops. This will help you out if you ever need to SLAM the pool again. Just don't add any stabilizer or pucks and as you add fresh fill water it will drop down some.

Now onto the spots.........
You stated before that your Calcium levels' were VERY high......have you used Cal-Hypo to add chlorine to the pool in the past?? Is your tap water very high in Calcium??

We bought this house in mid October.

I do not know what previous owners were regularly using for chlorination. The only clues are that they left behind a duck-shaped float for pucks, and one crate of empty 12.5% bleach bottles.

Haven't tested tap water directly for calcium, but in general this area has very hard water.

With your high CYA level.....and cold water temp, it maybe awhile. Once the FC level drops closer to SLAM level (32 in your case) you're OK to swim. A quick rinse afterwards however maybe a good idea. On average, we figure a drop of around 2FC a day is very normal....however once again, given your cold weather it could take longer.

:lol: I'm not particularly concerned with "safe to swim" levels. With the water temps the way they are I don't foresee us swimming any time soon!!

The reason I asked is because my husband thought we'd be slamming for a while longer and bought 12 gallons of 10% bleach on Sunday, and we have about 9 gallons left. We are keeping it in our garage, and it's probably between 40 and 60 degrees out there at any given time.

My research on shelf life of chlorine levels only said to avoid extreme heat and said it will last pretty well at room temperature... but how will the colder temps affect it?

Will it keep it's potency pretty well until we need to add chlorine again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not singling anyone out, and I have posted this before. The 5ml test shows ingenuity, that you understand the math and clearly saves some time even though the accuracy is cut back a bit. It's fine to use it anytime for the higher FC values.....say 20+

However, don't think of it as a way to save money.....that doesn't pan out. The cost difference (5 vs 10 ml sample) in R-0871 drops to test for 36 ppm FC works out to slightly less than 2.5 cents.

Always use the 10 ml sample when you are checking chlorine loss accurately (like in the OCLT)

I understand your point. From my perspective, it wasn't supposed to be an OCLT as I didn't test last night. In my mind, great accuracy is not needed at the moment while I'm switching gears from SLAMming to simply tracking my chlorine loss as it falls down to normal levels so I know when to start adding chlorine again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.