Another pool north of Dallas

Stonework, electrical and plumbing in, inspection scheduled for tomorrow. Deck is/was scheduled for Friday but doubt that will happen if we get the rain they are forecasting and Monday does not look promising either! Here's a few of the pool in the middle of the war zone we call a backyard!

So I know I'm putting the cart before the horse here - but would love to have some suggestions/recommendations on plants/bushes for the landscaping. We plan on having a bed on the back side of the stone wall and extend it along the fence line to the spa. We are new to the DFW area and I know whatever we plant will need to be able to survive 106 temps in the summer, freezes in the winter, and water rationing! How's that for extremes? Some color other than just green would be nice. The pool is north/south oriented and will get full sun.

Are you planning on using any of the landscaping for privacy? Or just aesthetics? I've been researching bamboo. We need some privacy landscaping & that grows so fast it would be in place by next swim season. The clumping kind is what I'm looking at. Other than that, banana trees, rose bushes, lantana & so much more all do well here. Maybe go to a local nursery to see what they suggest for this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend knockout roses to add a pop of color. They are very hardy in DFW, grow very quickly, and bloom nearly year round.

For privacy along a fence line, I would recommend a holly bush - either Eagleston or Nelly R. Stevens. These grow to 20 ft tall and provide great privacy. The BEST place to acquire these in DFW is at a tree farm called Tree Land. Its located in Celina. They have plenty of trees at the best prices in all DFW, offer free delivery and planting, and include a full 18 month warranty.

http://www.tree-land.com/

What planting zone are you in? Here in OKC I'm in Zone 7, so I think we get a little colder and maybe a touch more moisture, but in the main it sounds like your issues are our issues! Extreme all the way: heat, ice, drought, an occasional flood, etc. Do you want a tropical look or do you want something more traditional? We made a list on another forum for good poolside plants (#1 rule - minimal shedding! Unless you just love to skim Crud out of your pool, then I recommend you plant a crape myrtle right next to it like ours and you'll get all the skimming you want!) which I think were heavy on the hardy tropicals, let me find it.

Also, when you say privacy near the fence, which is more important - density or height? Or both? I think height is for visual privacy (we have two story houses surrounding the pool) but density is more for sound privacy (like you don't want to hear the neighbor's conversation when they are in their pool, or their barking dog, or whatever).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second the vote for Tree Land in Celina. The owner is Bob and his son is Derek. Great guys and they have good healthy stock and great prices and volume discounts. We put in an entire berm with their stuff two years ago and it survived the drought, grasshopper infestation last year and extreme cold. We used cedars, hollies, wax myrtles and some others and they filled in nicely. Plus, when you go to Tree Land you get to drive around in a golf cart and tag your own trees out in the country. Can't get better than that.

MiaOKC - we are in zone 8a I believe, just north of Dallas. As for privacy, more height than density - same issue - two story houses looking down into the backyard. There was a pecan tree where the pool is, great privacy for the yard, but a horrendously messy beast, that we had taken out. As for the crape myrtles - absolutely love them, had six of them in my previous yard so I know that would not be the choice near the pool, raked leaves until I thought my arms would fall off! I'll check out the forum and Tree Land - thanks to you and slappie!

Another idea for a tropical look that is cold hardy: Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm)

They can become a medium to large sized shrub and are the most cold hardy palms available (generally multi-trunked where it gets cold).

http://www.chillypalmtree.com/NEEDLEPALM.html

I don't have them yet but I'm planting two in the spring a bit off of the pool deck.

I also like the Yucca Filamentosa 'Color Guard'. And other yucca's.

I've installed an arching boxwood hedge and will add, among other things, Big Blue liriope as a good groundcover for sun (not sure about your sun), hardy hibiscus and a variety of the coneflowers (older and newer colors).

On the opposite side where I wanted something lower growing, I planted Drift Roses. They are the Knockout equivalent in a small form factor. (with all roses, be cautious of Rose Rosette Virus).

Deck forms in, rebar set, inspection passed - now we wait days for the rain to end.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/Ready ... c.jpg.html]
image_zps3a8f034c.jpg
[/URL]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.