How long can I run without DE?

Aug 29, 2010
Southern NH
So, my pool pump was tripping the breaker when going from high to low speed (was happening for a week, waiting for the pool company to check it out). I decide to do a backwash (all in high speed), to see if there was some variable I wasn't considering. After the backwash, the pump stopped coming on all together.

The pump was just replaced. I plan on closing the pool in the next few days. But I want to run the pump just to get things back in order (actually, pool is crystal clear, there are just a few leaves I want to take care of). Is it bad for me to run my pool without DE? Can I do it for a few days (I get that it will not filter the smaller things).

I wouldn't recommend running it at all without DE in it. The problem is not that it just don't filter small stuff, it's that it could possibly clog the grids permanently. Since you're talking a few days and not a few hours, it's well worth the time and trouble to recharge it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.