Surprised when adding anti-freeze to return line

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Thanks to the great feedback I received on another thread in the Pumping Station, I was able to solve the problem of accessing my Polaris return line to add anti-freeze. However, I got some unexpected results and want to see if anyone else experience this.

After blowing out the lines, they were wet capped after bubbling for about a minute. When adding anti-freeze to my Polaris return, I was surprised when after only 2 gallons, it started backing up and coming back out at me. I calculated that the line, which is approx. 45 feet, should hold at least 4 gallons. So I stopped adding and went out about an hour later and was able to add more anti-freeze to the line.

I'm guessing some sort of air pocket that somehow relieved itself over time was causing this. Does this explanation make sense? Of course, I was concerned the return had water in it (2 gallons) but the fact that an hour later I could add more anti-freeze led me believe it was air.

Anyone experienced this before?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.