Closing IG Pool in N. Mississippi

Aug 7, 2013
Hi all,

I have a 16 x 32 IG vinyl pool with the aqua genie skimmer (no main drain), step returns, and 1hp sand filter. I am located in N. Mississippi, about 15 miles south of Memphis, TN. I was thinking because the winters aren't all that harsh, I maybe don't need to close the pool. Pool was just put in this spring, so this is my first winter. Just wondering if there was anyone from this region that could give me their opinion and/or experiences on whether to close or not to close.

I was planning on simply buying a mesh cover just to keep the leaves out, and running the pump in recirculate mode whenever temps are expected to drop below 32. Is there anything else I would have to do, if I decide not to close/winterize.

Thanks

Must be in the Horn Lake area? You can keep your pool open if you like. Chemical uses drops way off the charts once the sun gets lower in the sky. LIke you said, just run your pump minimally daily, watch your levels, and run continuously in case of a freeze. Originally from Clarksdale here.

Do you have a freeze guard setting on your pump timer? If so, you can set that to turn on at about 35 degrees and it will cover you.

Woodyp, that's the area I am in. Just a little bit south of Horn Lake.

I think I will look into getting one of those timers.

I got one last questions. If I don't close, should I run the filter only when temps drop, or is there some kind of minimum run time I should use through out the winter season, no matter the temp? I was thinking I would maybe run the pump in recirculation mode over night once a week, or every 2 weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.