Pristine Blue

Aug 25, 2013
Dallas Texas
I have new pool filled 5 days ago ordered test kit Taylor K 2006 pool started getting slimy after 3 days my kit will not be here until middle of next week took sample to pool store they sold me pristine blue I put liquid check in pool and shocked it suppose to put blue in tonight after reading not sure it is way to go what should I do

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm going to amend my recommendation since this was an initial fill...

You will need to get some stabilizer (CYA) in the pool as fill water does not contain CYA. You can begin this process while waiting for your test kit.

The first few days will be spent using dichlor to add chlorine while also raising your CYA level to help protect the chlorine from the degrading effects of sunlight. The first evening, turn the pump back on, test and make any adjustments to pH. Let the pump circulate any chemicals added to adjust pH (30 minutes or so) and then add one ounce of dichlor for every 500 gallons of water. To add the dichlor, add it first to a bucket of pool water and let it dissolve, and then dump that into your pool. Let the pump run overnight. This dichlor addition will raise the chlorine level to about 8 (assuming no chlorine was added prior . . . if it was, the chlorine level will be a little higher, which is fine). This will also raise the CYA level to about 8.

Repeat the above procedure each evening for four nights total. At the end of four nights, your CYA level should be around 30, right where it should be. After four evenings of adding dichlor, STOP USING THE DICHLOR. This is really important, even if you have extra left over. There is a complex relationship between chlorine and CYA, and too much CYA is absolutely not a good thing. Purchase just enough dichlor to use for this four-day period.

In all likelihood, you will need to do The SLAM Process but you will need your kit before you can start this.

Once your kit arrives, run and post a full set of test results and we will go from there.

A couple of resources to read up on while waiting for your kit: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart. Also familiarize yourself with the Pool Calculator.

One last thing...stock up on plain unscented liquid bleach while waiting for your test kit. You will need lots of it for the expected SLAM Process as well as for ongoing chlorination.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

timetoplay said:
ordered test kit Taylor K 2006
Excellent.

timetoplay said:
took sample to pool store they sold me pristine blue
Of course they did. :uhh:

Well, al least you landed here early. There are a few things you should do while waiting for your test kit.

• 2. You need to get some bleach in that pool. Using the Pool Calculator you can estimate bleach amounts. You can add at least two or three jugs to start.
  • 3. Do not use the Pristine Blue. Return it if you can.

Just to clarify, did you also add a Pristine shock product in addition to the Check? If so, which one and how much?

timetoplay said:
yes 5 lbs not sure what name is think it was called clear
If it was a white powder, it would either be PristineExtra (dichlor, orange label) or PristinePower (potassium monopersulfate, pink label).

The reason being is related to BoDarville's comments regarding getting your CYA up. If it was the PristineExtra that you used then your CYA is now approx 15. You will need to take that into account when trying to reach your target of 30.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.