pool full, no sand for filter, start with pump only?

phawn

Jul 29, 2013
mn
This is probably a simple question but I am still learning... I thought it was going to be easy getting sand for our filter but none nearby so I need to wait. Unfortunately I have the pool filled below the skimmer and would like to start circulating and adding chlorine. Can I just hook up the pump and then add the filter after I get the sand? If so, do I need to take water out of pool to below skimmer/return or can I temporarily 'plug' those points to plumb in the filter? Putting something in the bottom of the skimmer seems like it would work but how to plug the return?

What kind of filter valve to you have? If you run it on recirculate, it will skip the filter as well.

Anyway, no problem running just the pump for circulation. You may want to consider adding a valve on the skimmer and return lines so that you can easily isolate the equipment in the future so the pool will not drain.

Thanks,
I had started an earlier topic about my equipment in general and I am still trying to figure what the different filter multiport valves are for. The only valve setting that seems straightforward is the 'filter' valve, which must direct the water through the actual sand filter. So recirculate must bypass the filter?? what would be the typical purpose of that? Does anyone know what the other valve ports are for? For example what is the 'close' position for? What is 'backwash' for? What is winter flush for?
On a side note, I did locate some sand nearby so I will put it in and start the pump. Hopefully all goes well!!!!!

Attachments

• 20130817_092754.jpg
    20130817_092754.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 44
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.