Going away for a week, best option for leaving pool?

G

So I have a franken pool. It's a 2,000 gallon above ground with a 1HP Hayward power-flo II, a $99 intex SWG, and a size D filter cartridge/pump combo with the impeller removed just working as a filter. Yes, I'm that cheap.

I'm very pleased with how well it's working, but I haven't gotten around to automating the pump, and worry about overworking the pump, so I turn it on for a few hours a day along with the SWG (1 hour run on the SWG timer).

I'm used to electric motors that are "continuous duty" or "compressor duty" but I don't understand what "pool duty" means in terms of run time to off time, so am trying to avoid running it more than a few hours a day (and honestly this tiny pool doesn't need much).

As you can tell, I'm also trying to avoid spending money.

So we're going away for a week, and my options seem to be:

1. Let the pump run 24/7 and let the SWG work according to its 24 hour timer.
2. Leave the pump and SWG off and "fix" the pool when we get back
3. Load the pool with chlorine (bleach) to a high ppm before we leave and hope it doesn't get too nasty by the time we get back.

I'm in southeast Michigan, if it matters.

FC: 3
PH: > 8.2 (yeah, yeah, it was very low so I added 20 mule borax due to the borate thread here, and apparently added too much)
TA: 90
CYA: 35 (should be at 70 by now, I added more stabilizer last week)
Salt: 3180

Opinions welcome, and thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.